Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Fish oil caps smell and taste like old fish

Who Dares Win

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Im sure most of you know fish oil caps, they are a great supplement for heart health, brain and joints.

Tried many times, different brands and different size yet the last ones I ordered really smell bad and taste even worse, they smell like the fish market and taste like old fish left outside instead of the fridge.

I wonder if its a low quality mark or it can happen, also in this case are they a risk for health or they simply lose effect?

Anyone knows something about it?

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The ones I had were flavored with citrus. They smelled like oranges.

Quality is best ascertained by the product being certified to be free of heavy metal contamination by independent 3rd-party testing. Another good sign, although not totally necessary, is buying the product from a refrigerated case.

marmel75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Im sure most of you know fish oil caps, they are a great supplement for heart health, brain and joints.

Tried many times, different brands and different size yet the last ones I ordered really smell bad and taste even worse, they smell like the fish market and taste like old fish left outside instead of the fridge.

I wonder if its a low quality mark or it can happen, also in this case are they a risk for health or they simply lose effect?

Anyone knows something about it?
That's common, and the cause is the fish oil is rancid. Aka spoiled, aka garbage. Throw them out they are doing you more harm than good. I'd recommend Skate liver oil from green pastures as that contains not only fish oil but also all the other great things in fermented cod liver oil and high quality butter fat, or if you are dead set on fish oil, to get a quality product like Carlssons.

dasein

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Get flax seed in your diet for non smelly Omega 3s. Dirt cheap, tastes good or at least not bad, no fish taste. I do the fish oil too as it doesn't bother me. You can get Bob's Red Mill ground flax at most chain groceries, Walmart and Big Lots. The best is to buy the seeds and grind them in a coffee grinder. Sprinkle them on everything, bake them into bread. 2-3 tablespoons a day costs about a quarter or less.

marmel75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Get flax seed in your diet for non smelly Omega 3s. Dirt cheap, tastes good or at least not bad, no fish taste. I do the fish oil too as it doesn't bother me. You can get Bob's Red Mill ground flax at most chain groceries, Walmart and Big Lots. The best is to buy the seeds and grind them in a coffee grinder. Sprinkle them on everything, bake them into bread. 2-3 tablespoons a day costs about a quarter or less.
Flaxseed is good but I'd caution on two things:

1) flaxseed has ALA which is converted to EPA and DHA at very low rates. Studies have estimated between 4-12% maximum with a new study using newer technology suggesting the rate could be as low as 0.4%. So basically you cannot get your Omega 3s effectively from flax.

2) you never want to grind flax up because it has large amounts of phytoestrogens in it which are more easily absorbed when it's ground up. Always eat it in its whole form. You can create a really awesome homemade granola with it by soaking it in a 1:1 mixture of water overnight, laying it out on a baking tray, adding cinnamon, nutmeg and raisins to it and baking it at around 200 degrees for 20 minutes, flipping it over at the halfway point.
Whole ensures you are absorbing lesser amounts of the phytoestrogens.

Flax is amazing, I eat it once or twice a week. It is one of the most anti-inflammatory foods there is, which if you know about how dangerous inflammation is, you would understand the importance of that.