Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Cologne: Listen Up

rascal99v

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Winter scent - A*men by Theirry Mugler
Summertime day scent - Coolwater, Perry Ellis Red, Nautica Voyage
Night time fall/winter going out scent - La Nuit De L'homme by Yves Saint Laurent
Formal, Dressing up scent - Dior Homme

All the colognes above are over used and most smell like synthetic crap. Everybody is wearing those. The Top notes don't mean sh!t. Nobody smells the top notes on you unless you spray it on in front of them. The top notes are for your smelling pleasure. The basenotes is what people smell on you. What you smell on yourself all day. Colognes won't help you get women anyway. Never spray cologne in your hair because the alcohol can damage it.

gravityeyelids

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
rascal99v said:
Night time fall/winter going out scent - La Nuit De L'homme by Yves Saint Laurent

All the colognes above are over used and most smell like synthetic crap. Everybody is wearing those. The Top notes don't mean sh!t. Nobody smells the top notes on you unless you spray it on in front of them. The top notes are for your smelling pleasure. The basenotes is what people smell on you. What you smell on yourself all day. Colognes won't help you get women anyway. Never spray cologne in your hair because the alcohol can damage it.
Thanks for your expert opinion buddy. I appreciate the great attitude... which seems to be a running theme with your posts on this forum. And thanks for sh!tting all over my post, which apparently everyone except you appreciated. Dior Homme and La Nuit and A*men are synthetic crap? And overused? Please. You can't even being to make that argument. All of the above are fantastic scents, and all of the above are regarded almost universally in the fragrance community as such, especially for the price...which you seem not to take into account. I'm sorry we all can't afford $300 bottles of niche colognes. I was trying to help the average man on this forum out by dropping some knowledge. And yes girls do love these scents. I don't know what crawled up your ass today, but please take your negativity elsewhere.

And how many of those scents have you actually owned and used for more than a few days? Being such a fragrance expert yourself I would assume you'd evaluate the quality of a scent based on more than smelling it at the department store or just wearing it once. Naturally I assumed you have owned all the above and have used them for an extended period of time, like I actually have. But who am I kidding.. let's be honest here..you are just a disagreeable person and probably just like to reject something on principle, especially if it's popular. You'd much rather criticize people than offer constructive advice on this forum. I'm actually ashamed of myself for stooping to your level, but i felt the need to refute your 'opinion' in case someone browsing actually were to give your post any credence.

gravityeyelids

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MidnightCity said:
nice post. you are ruining a well kept secret though :crazy:

try over 50 bottles and countless sample vials.

from one enthusiast to another, i recommend you check out:

green irish tweed (spring/summer scent perfect for the morning after some good secks)

2 man (very masculine, candle + greenery smell fall/winter scent)

dior leather oud (this is for people who are brave enough to experiment, the civet makes it smell funky yet somehow alluring, definitely not a summer scent)

gucci pour homme 2 (blue bottle, smells of a soft comforting tea. if angels have a scent this is what they smell like. perfect fall/winter scent as well that will put you in a great mood and make your girl not want to be more than 2 feet away from you)

tom ford tobacco vanille (straight up smells like vanilla cigars. potent stuff for the winter that reminds me of an old english gentelmans club. theres nothing out there like this)

i still wear antaeus and get compliments for how sexy and masculine it smells.
colognes can be tricky but if you know what youre doing, girls will always be trying to keep your scarfs and shirts and they will think of you (and having secks with you) any time they get a whiff of any notes from your cologne
I've always wanted to try Green irish tweed, but i can't justify the money. I should probably pick up a sample though. GPHII i've heard great things about, and i really wannna check it out...i havent seen it in any department stores or discounters however.

rascal99v

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
gravityeyelids said:
Thanks for your expert opinion buddy
You're Welcome. No problem. I was just clearing up the wrong information you gave to the group. So, you're a cologne expert because you viewed and read the basics at a cologne forum? Because you copied cologne information from their threads and pasted it here in your own words? Your 9 or 10 cologne bottles makes you a cologne connoisseur? :crackup:

Chill out man. Just stating the facts. Don't be so defensive. This is a forum where everybody can express their ideas. Not only yours. Does everybody always agree with you in your cologne forums? Probably not. I didn't shat on your post btw. What's your problem? Other people can't present knowledge here? Is your opinion the only one that matters? Can't you admit that some of your cologne knowledge is wrong? Can't take any constructive criticism? If you're going to drop some knowledge on us, make sure that the knowledge you drop is correct. One thing I can stand is a know it all who can't admit to being wrong. Especially when he is shown to be. So, only your opinion is considered expert? You sound like a whiny girl who always has to be right. :crackup:

gravityeyelids said:
Dior Homme and La Nuit and A*men are synthetic crap? And overused?
Yes, La Nuit and A*men is synthetic crap that is over used. Most cologne experts agree. Dior Homme is now becoming over used. It is now being pushed as the number 1 scent at department stores.

gravityeyelids said:
You'd much rather criticize people than offer constructive advice on this forum.
What do you think I am doing? I'm offering you constructive advice. You refuse to take it. The colognes you mentioned are over used and are synthetic. That is true. Go to any department store and the clerk will show you Dior, La Nuit, and A* men always first. That's what they are selling. Those are the colognes they are pushing. They want you to buy them. Why don't you know that? You're the cologne expert. I do appreciate great posts. You had a few good points. I just pointed out where you were wrong. Nothing wrong with that. When you drop the wrong knowledge, you should expect to be corrected. Colognes alone don't help men get women. That is another fact. You're just mad because you got embarrassed in your own thread.

gravityeyelids said:
All of the above are fantastic scents, and all of the above are regarded almost universally in the fragrance community as such, especially for the price
Which means that everybody is buying these scents, therefore they are over used. They have been out for a while now. People know all about them. They are buying them. People like you are recommending them. They are over used. You can smell these scents all over the place. Especially 1 Million in the clubs. Nuit is another one that stinks in the bars at night this time of the year. Every guy trying to be a hit with the ladies is wearing this stuff. And no, those scents are not regarded highly by top rated experts.

gravityeyelids said:
And yes girls do love these scents
So what? Women like sweet scents. Do you want to smell like a fruitcake? Want to wear a feminine type perfume? Want to wear a bland overpriced unisex scent because girls love it? Colognes won't help you get women. They have to like you. That is a fact. Wear what you like because you like it. Not because you think women like it. Not because some so called cologne expert recommends it on the web. I know all about these scents. Which is why I know they are over used and synthetic.

gravityeyelids said:
i felt the need to refute your 'opinion' in case someone browsing actually were to give your post any credence.
What did you refute? You didn't refute anything. You just elaborated defensively on your previous wrong opinions. You are still wrong. Top Notes doesn't mean anything except for the user. Base Notes is what counts. It's what people smell on you all day. You know, the synthetic and over used scents that you wear. Spraying cologne in your hair can damage it. It has harsh alcohol in it. Everybody should know that. Except for you Mr. Cologne expert.

I just refuted everything you said. Tons of people are buying these scents. They are over used. They are synthetically made. How can you refute that? You can't. The points that I made in this thread are correct.

Looking for more credence? Here is even more credence to my post. Negative reviews from your cologne friends over at basenotes. Not too highly regarded in the expert fragrance community. Looks like they feel the same way as I do. Synthetic and over used. Just like I said. How do ya like them apples?:up:

http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/fragrance/26130452&rt=1

http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/fragrance/26120034&rt=1

silentrich

Have to say this is one of the most over rated fragrances I've come across. I was expecting a seductive fragrance with spices and a quality vanilla at it's base. What I got was very little spice, a big dose of the original L'homme, and a cookie cutter vanilla. I know people really like this, but I can think of quite a few fragrances in the same vein that do a much better job. Even worse is the amount of flankers this line spawns. I knew this line was bad when they made an EdP version of La Nuit which was worse than the EdT. That says a lot. 18 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 22 January, 2013)

foetidus

LiveJazz has given an excellent description of La Nuit de L’Homme: It is YSL L’Homme minus “the classy and understated finesse, plus extra synthetic sweetness.” …I can’t think of any better way to describe this fragrance. This is not a fragrance that I would expect from YSL: It smells like several other synthetically sweet, generic products that have been produced in the past couple of decades by companies of lesser stature than YSL. This is very disappointing. 09 January, 2011

Darvant

Synthetic spicy/fluity semi-oriental. A citrusy, really aromatic, spicy beginning preludes to a woody oriental (vanilla, labdanum) blend based on a spicy lavender presence too artificially fruity and sweet for my taste.
I detect plenty of artificilal cardamom combined with lavender by soon. I dislike it and have tried many many times to explore and appreciate its smell on my skin. In my opinion it's generic in its vetiver/cedarwood "basement", too synthetically sweet and orangy (cinnamon/orange?), fruity (in an almost resinous artificial way) and unclassy. The coumarine/labdanum combo smells un-natural and fruity in a slightly sticky way. I’ll never wear it for my nocturnal battles, madam night requires much more and the stock of my cellar is full of velvety masterpieces ready to snap for clubs as well as dark, raged dogs haunting spiteful speedy cats. 12 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 05 January, 2014)

Casternsis

Spicy, sickly sweet, synthetic scent.

Bottom line: makes me nauseous. Scrubbed it off with activated charcoal soap but it was so tenacious I had to liberally smear my arm with Arm & Hammer deodorant to mute its overbearing fortissimo. 18 January, 2011

rum

Seriously, this is meant to be a fragrance for men or an air freshener?
I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would wear such a strong and loud scent. Maybe if I were dancing around all night in a club, this could be my fragrance, but in the real world no thanks. This stuff is cloying, powdery, unimaginative and the packaging is virtually satanic. Eau Hell no!! 09 January, 2014

foreverAFC said:
the ones ive been wearing lately are :

aramis havana
cool water
versace dreamer
bogart pour homme
drakar noir

what do you guys think of these
All good classic colognes. Over used back in the day. Mostly older guys are wearing this. Drakkar and cool water are two of the best classics. Havana has been watered down in the new reformulation. Still good though. Try to get a vintage bottle so you can see the difference.

Gunner26

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Nice thread, very interesting stuff.

I'm starting to get into cologne a bit more now.

Bought a bottle of CK - Eternity in the summer for a formal outdoor event and it smelt great. I still wear it fairly frequently. I chose it over Davidoff - Cool Water as I find Cool Water a little bit too aquatic.

Now that's the only cologne I've ever bought myself, and I did do a bit of research into it before buying, as well as testing it out in the store.

However I've also got:
CK-One
CK-One Shock
Tommy Hillfinger - Tommy

Was just wondering on your views for these three. I find I get complimented on Shock when I'm on nights out, however I don't really feel it's that masculine of a scent.
I also get complimented on the Tommy frequently. I wear it at night as well, and even though it's not a musky scent, women seem to love it.

Gunner

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
CK one is kind of fruity to me.

CK Be is a unique scent. It's very mild, seems impossible to use too much. It would be ignored in a club, but it's just right for the office. It's also good when you are going straight from the shower to bed/sex.

Gunner26

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yea, I find the CK-One is pretty fruity too, although it's not too overpowering as it dies down.

I'll have a look into CK-Be, but to be honest I don't really need one for an office situation as I'm still at uni and don't have a job, never hurts to look into it in advance though.

Gunner

marmel75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fragrance scented oils are infinitely better than colognes in my opinion, last longer, cheaper, work better...

Pardner

Don Juan
Reaction score
rascal99v said:

yeah, definitely stay away from those.

In my opinion, Chanel Platinum Egoiste is the best winter fragrance to go with. It really smells awesome and isn't fake sweet like the YSL is. Perry Ellis Aqua is another amazing fresh fragrance that lasts all day. Fendi is another decent aqua fragrance that lasts a long time. The girl @ Macy's was giving samples of Dior and sprayed some on my hand, and it's a good clean smelling scent that stayed on even after I washed my hands.

Pardner

Don Juan
Reaction score
gravityeyelids said:
I have Dreamer and like it. People frequently b!tch about the opening, and i agree it is a bit too much, but i wasn't turned off by it. Once it dries down, it's a great fragrance though. Coolwater is always a solid. The other ones i dont have much experience with
Is the opening too strong on Dreamer? I tried Versace Man @ Macy's and it was ok.

Ronaldo7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Creed

Green Irish Tweed
Aventus
SMW
MI

Tom Ford Extreme
Bond No. 9
Hermes Terre d'Hermes
Chanel Allure Homme Sport

One can't go wrong with Creed.

BetterCallSaul

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There's no right or wrong answer to the best cologne. Some people hate the scent you pick; others will love it. Should you change and wear a different scent because someone hates it? I don't know, that's up to you.

For me, I'm not changing. It took me 10 years to find, what i now call, my base foundation of 6 colognes that are an extension of myself. There's no fast track to finding one. You just have to try a bunch and see what happens. Once you've done this a lot, you start to recognize certain scents you like and will try to find other combinations in different colognes. What really helped me was I was able to find some internet merchant that I could buy samples of colognes I could never find anywhere else. I was not going to buy a cologne outright without having tested it, and even luxury department stores in large cities don't carry everything.

MrWood

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
CK Intense Euphoria
YSL l'homme
Polo Red

I usually get mine in DutyFree while traveling, but now I think I will go downtown and ask the perfume ladies at the expensive stoes what they like...

and hone my day game

Slash Dolo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I legit have around 40 bottles. Been collecting over several years.

The top 5 compliment getters in order are:

Diesel Only the Brave (also happens to be the cheapest; go figure... EVERYONE loves this stuff)
Creed Green Irish Tweed
Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
Thierry MuglerA*Men Pure Malt

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A girl got me Adam Levine. It's not bad, good staying power. Girls seem to like it. I'd call it more of an everyday cologne than something for a club.

Amilz

Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to wear Acqua di gio in the late 90's. Do they have a new formula of it that's as good?

blind_one

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the bump, I might be trippin but I might have read another thread like that here on SS.

Thanks to that I started to grab a bottle a month or so some time ago.

Cool water ( got compliments from females)
Angel Shlesser Essential for men ( as above )
Calvin Klein Eternity ( as above )

Next one I want to grab is Mont Blac Legend

Great thread Gravity