Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Cologne: Listen Up

gravityeyelids

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Okay im bored. And i have a crazzy obsession with cologne and fragrances. So i'm going to drop some ledge about the stuff that some Djs might not know. Don't ask me why, i'm just bored.

It's a weird hobby, but i probably have around 9 or 10 bottles of cologne...probably around 12 sample vials of various fragrances. Some things people might not know:

1) Top Notes- A fragrances has 3 "layers". The Top Notes, Middle Notes and Base (or Bottom) Notes. Notes are basically smells. For example, some sweeter frags have a "chocolate note", which simply means it smells like chocolate. Duh. But back to these 3 layers. Most people know that a cologne changes after you spray it, but they don't really take it seriously enough. A fragrance goes through phases of COMPLETELY different scents. When you first spray a frag, you get the top notes. These are the oftentimes strong, alcohol smelling ones. That's why they tell you to let a cologne die down before you see if you like it or not. After these top notes die down, the fragrance can radically change as the middle and basenotes come through. All frags are different, but i would roughly say that the top notes are the first 10 or so minutes, the middle notes come through after that, and then a few hours after you get the base notes as it dries down and becomes closer to the skin.

2) Projection/ Sillage and Longevity - Two terms that fragrance people use often are projection and sillage. Projection is how far away from your skin the fragrance can be perceived, sillage is how strong of a scent "trail" it leaves as you walk. Longevity is just what it sounds like. Some colognes are very weak, and only really last for about an hour. Others have monster projection and longevity (Theirry Mugler's A*men comes to mind) and can last as long as 8 or 10 hours. Some can even be smelled the next day.

3)How much do I spray? - Like anything, this depends. Obviously the weaker scents should be sprayed more, and the stronger ones less. Some only need as much as 1 or 2 sprays. Some need up to 8 or 9. This sounds like a lot, but honestly people usually dont spray enough. Some spray so much that you are coughing when you come near them. But i know a lot of guys that simply spray 1 or 2 times and i'm like "dude, why bother?". ON AVERAGE I would recommend 3-4 sprays. If this seems like a lot, keep in mind that the top notes are usually the strongest and the cologne dies down significantly after like 20 or 30 minutes, to the point where 2 sprays might not be able to be detected.

4) Where to spray? - There are different ways to go about this. And it basically depends on preference. Spraying closer to the face/head area (such as the neck) will be able to be detected more by yourself. Spraying on your wrists is going to make the cologne wear off more quickly than if you had sprayed a part of your body that isnt moving through the air as much, like your chest. You want to spray on pulse points such as your neck or wrists. You do NOT want to spray it in the air in front of you and walk through it like a pansy. This kills the projection. Dont be afraid to hold the sprayer just a few inches from your skin and fully spray it to the point where there is almost a small pool or wet spot. Dont worry, it'll be absorbed. DONT RUB IT IN. Some fragrance fanatics will debate this, but it kills the top notes and other parts of the fragrance when you rub it in. Just spray and leave it. This may be surprising but the NUMBER ONE PLACE to spray it? Your hair. That's right, it has something to do with the natural odors your hair produces, the texture of hair. It will allow it to last long and project well. Personally, i like to do about 2 on my neck, and one on each wrist

5) Cologne smells different on each person. Each person has different skin chemistry depending on the oils your body produces, pheromones, your diet, things like that. WHAT SMELLS GOOD ON OTHER PEOPLE MIGHT NOT SMELL GOOD ON YOU. Always try something on your skin and see how it reacts with your individual chemistry. Ask girls how it smells.

6)Scented soaps - If you are wearing cologne, avoid using highly scented shampoos and soaps. It will interact with the cologne, and the two usually aren't synergistic. I know you think your Axe or Irish Spring smells WICKED AWESOME, but it really doesnt. It especially doesn't smell better than your nice $80 bottle of YSL. you spent a lot, so why ruin it with cheap soaps and crap?

7) Girls - Girls LOVE a man that smells good. This is something you probably already know, but again GIRLS LOVE COLOGNE. Good cologne. Its almost a subconscious thing, especially if a cologne blends really well with your style/personality, they might not even realize why they're so attracted. I don't know about you, but it drives me absolutely nuts when i am with a girl that smells great. Honestly, it's a dealbreaker. I would never date a girl with poor hygiene, and if a girl always smells good, it definitely tips the scales in her favor. You can ALWAYS ask girls if they like your cologne. Go to Macy's try out a scent on each arm and walk around the store and find the cuties and ask which they prefer. THIS IS A GREAT OPENER. Girls are always willing to give advice. You can even do this at the bar. Sounds weird, but before you go out, spray one on each arm, and bring a pen, and say you;re trying to decide which to buy and have them give you input, then make a tally mark on your arm.

8) Different seasons/ different times - Cologne is usually only appropriate for a given season or time of day. There are winter colognes, which smell often spicier, sweeter, muskier. An example would be many of the Burberry ones (london, etc.). Summer scents tend to be aquatics, citrus, fruitier, fresher scents. Dont be spraying Coolwater or Acqua Di Gio in the middle of winter if there's snow all over. Another big thing is PROJECTION. Stronger scents are much better for winter because in the winter, scents project less. Think about it. If its really cold out, you're going to be sweating less, which releases cologne notes, as well as the fact that cologne is "activated" more on warmer skin. So your summer scents dont need to be super strong because they will project well in the warm/humid climate.

In addition, there are different colognes for different times of day, and different occasions. Some work better during the day, some at night. There are work scents, formal scents, going out scents, everyday scents, etc. You don't want your super loud, obnoxious scents in the office, but you do want them at the bars to help project over the dozens of people around you. Also you want to spray more when you're going out to party than if you're going to work. No one in the cubicles wants to be gassed out by some dudes cologne. Some colognes do work well in almost every occassion, but these are pretty rare. These are ones that lend themselves better to being signature scents, which are scents that you wear daily and that people identify as yours. For example, when i met my last GF, i was always wearing Perry Ellis 360 Red (FANTASTIC cologne, by the way), and to her, that was MY smell. She preferred it over all my other cologne because it "smelled like me". As i said, scent is powerful to girls, and if you have a good signature scent, it will instantly make her think of you and create good feelings when she smells it.

Examples:
Winter scent - A*men by Theirry Mugler
Summertime day scent - Coolwater, Perry Ellis Red, Nautica Voyage
Night time fall/winter going out scent - La Nuit De L'homme by Yves Saint Laurent
Formal, Dressing up scent - Dior Homme

So the question ends up being WHAT SHOULD I GET? What should you actually buy? I realize this is elitist and snobbish. But don't listen to any shmuck on these forums or in the real world. People will be like "OOMG THIS POLO ONE CHICKS DIG ITS GREAT". Chances are....it's not. Its like music. It comes down to preference to some degree, but the great albums are univerally regarded as great. No jazz lover is going to sit there and argue that Kind of Blue is a bad album. It's not. Period. No rock lover is going to argue that the Beatles suck. You can't. So on that note, as you would give the advice of someone who has more experience with girls more creedence than a chode, listen to me and other people who are experienced in this weird hobby moreso than just any dude that says BUY THIS. I have a number of recommendations

BIG MISTAKE that people make is spraying it, taking a whif and going "nope, dont like it" Now that you know how the layers and notes of frags work, you should realize how idiotic that is. The first 5 minutes of a cologne tell you almost NOTHING about how that is going to smell over the next 5 hours. STOP spraying and nexting them. You need to spray them ON YOUR SKIN, and smell it periodically at the VERY LEAST for like 30-40 minutes after you spray it to get a good idea of it.

abe0

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Add on top of all of that cologne with pheromones and you can type up dissertation on it. I wonder how many use cologne with pheromones? I have tried it and maybe it is psychological...maybe its because you think it works therefor it does....but I have had more luck with pheromones than without. Abe

foreverAFC

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ive been getting into colognes a lot lately, to me a good cologn is almost like a gateway to the past with all the long lost memories they can conjure up.

i know its going to sound odd, but i love the colognes that remind me of the locker room at the YMCA or gym back in the 80s, scents like Azzaro and Drakar Noir

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree, good post.

My cologne tip is to remember that heat and light destroy them. Store the cologne bottle in its original box. And don't keep it in the console of your car in the hot summer.

The Calvin Klein scents always seemed summery to me. I always liked Escape, and Eternity is ok on a hot summer day, although I think Obsession reeks. Hugo is my fall cologne. And Armani Black Code is my formal/sex date smell.

Vice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I stopped reading at number 6 to write this:

BUY UNSCENTED SOAP, DEODORANT, AND LAUNDRY DETERGENT IF YOU WEAR COLOGNE! It won't seem that you're as "clean" because there's no obnoxious, cheap, mass produced perfume. But as the OP said, why buy an $80 bottle of YSL if you're going to overpower it with garbage?

This thread is being copied over to the tips forum.

gravityeyelids

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
LadyKillers - there are certain fragrances that ladies love and that straight up turn them on. These are probably the ones you want to look into. People wear colognes for different reasons, some like the smell themselves, some like being complimented by others. Just because you think something smells good doesnt mean that girls or anyone else do. Obviously you want a scent you like, but make sure you find one that is universally regarded as good. Ask numerous women for advice on which one. Some advice: Dont be afraid to try the sweeter scents. Women much prefer these in general to the very heavy, musky "manlier" scents. Just because a scent it sweet does NOT make it feminine.

You also want to pick a scent that is not popular. Please dont by Acqua Di Gio. Yes it is a great scent, and yes girls like it. Its the best selling fragrance for a reason. But every frat house in american reaks of this. You don't want to smell like everyone else. Just smelling fresh is not enough. You want to make girls stop in their tracks and go "Oh My God. Who is that that smells so good?!" Ive had this happen, it's great. Especially when girls start nuzzling against your neck to keep smelling it.

Here's my recommendation for which scents women actually do love:

La Nuit De L'homme by YSL - This juice is killer. This is my every day right now (it's actually better suited for night, but it works). Amazing stuff, girls CONSTANTLY compliment me on this. It's spicy, sweet, great stuff. I have had a girl smell this and then as i was talking she would keep burying her head in my neck like every few minutes and keep apologizing because she couldnt help herself. If there is one that i would recommend buying blind...this is it fellows. Runs about $60 online.

L'homme by YSL - this is a less spicy, more refined one compared to la nuit. I'd say this is better for during the day, and better for spring/summer.

Le Male by JPG - This is becoming more popular so make sure everyone isnt wearing it where you live. Another sweeter one, i get a lot of vanilla and mint out of this. Girls like this a lot

Perry Ellis 360 Red - Wanna know a secret? This is Acqua Di Gio, but BETTER. It's based on ADG, and smells extremely similar, but a bit spicier. Based on does not mean a knockoff, it's its own scent. This is a sweet, fresh summer scent. If you are on a budget, this is the BEST option i can give you. A big bottle runs about $20 i think.

A*Men - This is NOT a blind buy. You need to try this and give it some time before you decide. Some people HATE it because it's a powerhouse scent. It's a gourmand, which means super super sweet, almost dessert-like scents. This is caramel, chocolate, coffee, tar (that's right, it's ballsy), fudge. Girls do like this a lot. This can really only be worn in the winter. It's SUPER strong so only like one or two sprays.

Dior Homme Intense - Good sh!t. pricey, at around $80, but well worth it.

IF YOU ARE ON A BUDGET this is what i recommend:
Perry Ellis Red - $20
Michael Jordan Legend - $20
Nautica Voyage - $20
Claiborne Curve for Men

One thing to watch out for: what's known as flankers. For example theres Liz Claiborne Curve for men. Then theres Curve Appeal, Curve Crush, etc. If I recommend something be aware that the flankers are NOT the same as the regular. They are based on it often, but can be radically different.

How to Buy: TjMaxx, Marshall's, Ross's will provide the best prices usually. however, theres no way to try out ones there. What you need to do is go to a department store and try a bunch. It's hard to keep track so there;s a few things you can do: have them spray it on a card and then write down which one it is so you can smell it throughout the day. Samples are great, but department stores can be stingy. Always ask if you can have a sample to take with you. I find it's easier to just ask for one specific one, rather than trying to get a bunch, because they will say they "dont have any available". Which is horse dung. but still. So go to Macy's,etc. to try out. When you find the one you like, i would try to find it at discounters like TjMAxx, if they dont have it, find it online for cheap. SEPHORA is great because their policy is to ALWAYS give everyone 3 samples of whichever. These are legit samples, little spray bottles than you can put on probably 5 or 6 times to really try out. You NEED to wear a fragrance for a couple days to really decide.

I will continue this when i get more time

gravityeyelids

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Basenotes is a site with people absolutely obsessed with cologne. I browse the forums there and they compiled a list of what was voted as the top female Compliment getters of all time on the forum (i believe they compiled results from other forums too. I'm pasting the first bunch of them. I have the entire spreadsheet if anyone wants it. These are in order of how many compliments. Creeds are always at the top, but be aware that creed fragrances run in the hundreds of dollars. here it is:

Aventus Creed
Green Irish Tweed Creed
L'eau D'Issey pour Homme Issey Miyake
La Nuit de l'Homme Yves Saint Laurent
Millesime Imperiale Creed
Acqua di Gio pour Homme Giorgio Armani
Allure Homme Sport Chanel
Le Male Jean Paul Gaultier
A*Men Thierry Mugler
Terre D'hermes Hermes
Musc Ravageur Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle
Kouros Yves Saint Laurent
Body Kouros Yves Saint Laurent
Rive Gauche pour Homme Yves Saint Laurent
Silver Mountain Water Creed
Dior Homme Christian Dior
Envy for Men Gucci
Cool Water Davidoff
Armani Code Giorgio Armani
Rochas Man Rochas
Allure Homme Chanel
Bleu de Chanel Chanel
Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme Dolce & Gabbana
M7 Yves Saint Laurent
Dior Homme Intense Christian Dior
Fierce Abercrombie & Fitch
Versace pour Homme Versace
Pi Givenchy
Platinum Egoiste Chanel
Chrome Azzaro
Burberry London for Men Burberry
Fahrenheit Christian Dior
1 Million Paco Rabanne
Antaeus Chanel
Black Aoud Montale
L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Guerlain
The Dreamer Versace
H.M. Hanae Mori
L'homme Yves Saint Laurent
Versace Man eau Fraiche Versace
A*Men Pure Malt Thierry Mugler
Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin Lolita Lempicka
Egoiste Chanel
Tobacco Vanille Tom Ford
Bois du Portugal Creed
Opium pour Homme Yves Saint Laurent
Boss Bottled Hugo Boss
Rose 31 Le Labo
Curve for Men Liz Clairborne

foreverAFC

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
the ones ive been wearing lately are :

aramis havana
cool water
versace dreamer
bogart pour homme
drakar noir

what do you guys think of these

gravityeyelids

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
foreverAFC said:
the ones ive been wearing lately are :

aramis havana
cool water
versace dreamer
bogart pour homme
drakar noir

what do you guys think of these
I have Dreamer and like it. People frequently b!tch about the opening, and i agree it is a bit too much, but i wasn't turned off by it. Once it dries down, it's a great fragrance though. Coolwater is always a solid. The other ones i dont have much experience with

Vice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
gravityeyelids said:
Basenotes is a site with people absolutely obsessed with cologne. I browse the forums there and they compiled a list of what was voted as the top female Compliment getters of all time on the forum (i believe they compiled results from other forums too. I'm pasting the first bunch of them. I have the entire spreadsheet if anyone wants it. These are in order of how many compliments. Creeds are always at the top, but be aware that creed fragrances run in the hundreds of dollars. here it is:

Aventus Creed
Green Irish Tweed Creed
L'eau D'Issey pour Homme Issey Miyake
HAH! I have number three on that list (shortened the quote so the page isn't too long). I think that one is one of those that needs a few more sprays than normal. Then again, the bottle is like 6 years old...

gravityeyelids

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Vice said:
HAH! I have number three on that list (shortened the quote so the page isn't too long). I think that one is one of those that needs a few more sprays than normal. Then again, the bottle is like 6 years old...
Yea i've got a sample of the Issey, it's great, especially in the summer. And yea its not terribly powerful, i agree with you there. Have you gotten many compliments from it?

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That's one I want to try. An ex got me the Issey Miyake "Blue." I'm not a big fan.

I just noticed that Wal-Mart has "Playboy" brand colognes. I wonder if it is like Axe.

Vice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
gravityeyelids said:
Yea i've got a sample of the Issey, it's great, especially in the summer. And yea its not terribly powerful, i agree with you there. Have you gotten many compliments from it?
None at all: again, it's a 5 year old bottle and I think it's getting old. Plus I only do one spray. Obviously I need more. How many do you recommend?

papawapa

Don Juan
Reaction score
Good thread. I will check out some of the recommendations. But eff you on the aqua di gio, chicks love it and I will keep wearing it, even in winter at 20 below.

gravityeyelids

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Vice said:
None at all: again, it's a 5 year old bottle and I think it's getting old. Plus I only do one spray. Obviously I need more. How many do you recommend?
One won't do anything. Honestly, this sounds a lot, but do about 5. One per wrist, one on each side of the neck and then maybe one on the chest or hair. Tons of people do the same thing: only spray once and then wonder why no one comments on it

j0504s

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
ConcernedLauries Bed w/ olivia...NY/SoFlo
Daily cheaper - versace blue jeans/diesel maculinr
night time -u dolce and gabbana (the dark blue top) pretty sure its original and my fav
John varvatos with all black bottle with leather

A good hybrid cologne tiffany and co. With the cloudy glass bottle

I've been wearing the dolce since HS girls all knew and spoke about that I smelled amazingtime they used to steal my sweatshirts and take em Home b.c of the.smell....I stick by.this one to the fullest

Keep spinning,

J0504s

P.S. great thread

usernamedox11

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Everyday cologne: Bleu De Chanel. Higher end: Aventus. Either will do the trick. Aventus and Millesime Imperial are the only creed fragrances I'd own. No one ever smells GIT on me.

Killer combo: Layer TF Tuscan Leather with Aventus.

Night out: Tobacco Vanille for something expensive. One Million or Play Intense for something cheaper. Also look into DHI if you want something a little more out there.

If I could limit what I own to four colognes, it would be these.

Everyday: Aventus and Bleu De Chanel
Night out: Tobacco Vanille and Dior Homme Intense
Summer cologne for a change up: Bergmotte 22 or Millesime Imperial
Winter cologne for change up: dior bois d'argent or Midnight in Paris
Sexy time: Millesime Imperial or byredo bal d'afrique
Suit & Tie: Xerjoff Ivory Route