Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Can a doctor date his patients without getting in trouble?

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It totally depends on the state he is practicing in. Each state medical board has its own statutes. There are no 'universal' laws regarding patient/provider relations.

Keep in mind HE is the one who could get into trouble, not you. He should be smart enough to draw the line at something that could jeopardize his career, but just keep that in mind if you like him.

LucyK

Reaction score
Colossus said:
It totally depends on the state he is practicing in. Each state medical board has its own statutes. There are no 'universal' laws regarding patient/provider relations.

Keep in mind HE is the one who could get into trouble, not you. He should be smart enough to draw the line at something that could jeopardize his career, but just keep that in mind if you like him.
Thank you, Colossus. BTW do you know where I can find out the laws on each specific state?

Married Buried

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The doctor can bang all the patients he wants. As long as they are cool broads who won't turn him in. A true doctor player could pull it off. Get a BJ in the examination room, maybe a quickie, not too shabby.

Married Buried

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
LucyK said:
I guess my question is, is it possible to date him without trouble. I read the rules are more lax if the physician is not a psychiatrist, and I've also read that it is okay to date your psychiatrist if you are no longer under his care and if it's been x years passed, etc. I've also read it's not okay at all. So I've read all sorts of things. Can you, as a healthcare provider, tell me if these things are valid?
Ofcourse you can date him without trouble... the problem comes when he dumps you, or sees other women, not just you. What will you do? You will snitch him due to your vindictive rage and ruin his life. Doubt he is going to touch you if he's smart.

LucyK

Reaction score
Malice said:
Ofcourse you can date him without trouble... the problem comes when he dumps you, or sees other women, not just you. What will you do? You will snitch him due to your vindictive rage and ruin his life. Doubt he is going to touch you if he's smart.
Trouble would be from the system and not me. Its not my personality

Jaylan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Colossus said:
I don't think it is going to happen. You may be infatuated with him, but him being your provider before any sort of romantic relationship may preclude any healthy, normal relationship from developing. It changes the dynamic. He knows about whatever clinical problems you have and it would be difficult for him to compartmentalize that and subsequently look at you romantically. Just my .02.

For what it's worth, I am a healthcare provider and I have had 3 female patients directly ask me out in the past year. I did date one for a time, but not until her case was formally closed and she was no longer my patient. I am not a psychiatrist.

So these things do happen, but it's different when you are seeing someone for a broken foot or routine medical problem versus a mental health issue.
I agree with this wholeheartedly.

Dating a provider who helps peoples minds and emotions, would most certainly create a great power imbalance. The former patient will almost always be in a position to be easily manipulated in my opinion..

Like you just said, its one thing to date someone who tinkered with your physical wellness. Its a wholly different idea to try and date someone whos tinkered with your mental wellness.

Married Buried

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
LucyK said:
Trouble would be from the system and not me. Its not my personality
So then you are one of those rare women who have complete control of your emotions? When he pumps and dumps you can just move on and let him be happy even though you still are infatuated with him? I am doubting this.

fuko2007

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
LucyK said:
** To clarify, "I am currently seeing" means I am now under treatment and not that I am dating my psychiatrist right now.

Also he is not famous, but my past boyfriends are. My psychiatrist is just a doctor who is starting out. He is in residency. Thanks.
NO!

LucyK

Reaction score
Malice said:
So then you are one of those rare women who have complete control of your emotions? When he pumps and dumps you can just move on and let him be happy even though you still are infatuated with him? I am doubting this.
i am on friendly terms with my ex boyfriends despite who goes for the breakup

xupc

Don Juan
Reaction score
As a researcher working with a lot of hot grad students. I can relate and I have only one thing to say.

Do NOT **** where you eat.