Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Best Martial Art

Huffman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Advanced? It's battlefield combat training mildly adapted for street situations.

I do think it's superior if self-defense is your goal.

Enough with the 'wax on, wax off' sh*t. Show me how to crush kidneys!
What I meant is that martial arts is of course modern science, which is improving and adapting over time. Modern combat training would then, logically, be the pinnacle of realistic martial arts. Anyway let's not get hung up over semantics, I agree with you.

FairShake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Krav Maga is absolute crap. Israelis are not out on the battlefield landing nut shots on Palestinians. It's marketing. Krav Maga is mostly nerds play fighting with some semi-Israeli guy counting money in the back.

Go box in the inner city. Seriously, if you are a white guy (and this question is a very white guy question) go train boxing in the ghetto. The simplicity and constant sparring of boxing and the difficulty of being the only one and picked on will make you effective and tough as nails.

Then go down to the local high school and see if the wrestling team needs guys to train with. Wrestlers are tend to be in great shape and very competitive and your time as a rag doll will be valuable to learning skills and surviving.

Edit: But the correct answer is study a lot of things. Box and wrestle but do a year of muay thai, play some judo, get a little bjj training in, hell, if you can find a san shou or kyokoshin class try them out as well.

Last edited:

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Guys seriously the style vs style question was answered by Bruce Lee in the Tao of Jeet Kune Do published1964. It's always the man not the style? Any decent style that's been around for a long time will have more techniques than you can ever possibly learn well. Go through the basic training so you've got some clue what it's all about then pick the techniques that work for you and train them hard against the widest variety of sparring Partners you can find.

EG I can flow well between hand trapping and leg strikes. But maybe that wouldn't work well against a grappler. But a grappler isn't going to enjoy my eye strikes, knife hands and elbows to the biceps and shoulders. If the grappler can dump me on my ass and choke me out I'm gone. Equally if I can poke one of his eyes and kick out his knee he's gone. And it's probably a moot point anyway because anybody who has the discipline to train hard in a martial arts isn't going to be getting into fights.

So yeah in summary mix up your training Styles train the simple basics hard and only do it if you enjoy it because a gun is always going to be a lot better.

Last edited:

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'll give you my thoughts. I am about to start training martial arts as well.

1) I wanted something practical.
2) I wanted something to help me get in shape that involved flexibility because I can't lift heavy weights anymore.
3) I wanted something close by my house.

I had 2 taekwondo places within 10 minutes. One I visited, and it seemed more suburban and more of a kid-activity for soft white soccer moms. The other I haven't gotten to yet, and the other day I noticed a BJJ shop opened up about 5 minutes away. Going to talk to the guy tomorrow. I imagine I'll start doing that.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ask the BJJ instructor about his own instructor, which is the person who gave him his belt. A belt is only as good as the instructor who awarded it. My bjj trainer got his black belt from a former world champion who trains with BJ Penn.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ask the BJJ instructor about his own instructor, which is the person who gave him his belt. A belt is only as good as the instructor who awarded it. My bjj trainer got his black belt from a former world champion who trains with BJ Penn.
You will laugh but I really don't want the cauliflower ear. That crap is nasty.

Tedhe

Don Juan
Reaction score
Which one would you guys choose?
This is what I have avalaible in my area:
1. Wing Chun.
2. Boxing.
3. Kick Boxing.
4. Kung Fu.
5. Muay Thai.
6. Judo.
7. Karate.
8. Jeet Kune Do

Maybe I'm leaving something outside, but I don't remember any other kind in my area.
Muay Thai

It is brutally devastating but also is taught with a Buddhist conatation - I have seen this art make better men out of nobody's as it serves both sides a mans soul

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You will laugh but I really don't want the cauliflower ear. That crap is nasty.
I never got it. I seem to be one of the lucky ones who is genetically immune. If your ear swells up after training, you have to have the fluid drained with a needle within a day or so, and if you do that, you won't get cauliflower ear. It is, of course, excruciatingly painful, which is why no one does that, and everyone ends up getting cauliflower ear.

Muay Thai is a great striking art, and the Muay Thai shin kick to the thigh is one of my favorite things. Just keep in mind, unlike K1 kickboxing rules, which allow throws, sweeps, and trips as a non-scoring move, there are no takedowns in Muay Thai. That encourages clench-fighting, a hallmark of the sport. However, in a real fight, it is easy to just throw the other guy to the ground when he tries to clench and throw knees. When you throw a kick or knee, you're standing on just one foot, and it's very easy to kick that foot out from underneath someone and dump them on their butt.

CuddleJunkie

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Muay Thai

It is brutally devastating but also is taught with a Buddhist conatation - I have seen this art make better men out of nobody's as it serves both sides a mans soul
could you give me more information about the relationship about Buddhism and Muay Thai? Thanks bro

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
@Bible_Belt I m curious about your comment on Clinch fighting in Muay Thai.

As you know before they throw the knee they will try and clamp both forearms around your neck pressing down on the carotid arteries.

If you took them down in that position wouldn't you be in danger of their weight damaging your neck? Not arguing just trying to understand.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
With an inside or outside leg trip, you'd snake your leg around the one leg the guy is standing on, and push into him. He falls backward, and if he knows how to grapple, you land in his guard. You can still clench and throw knees in mma, and it works...one of my buddies broke a guy's face in a fight that way. But Muay Thai fighters will hold the clench a lot longer, a minute or two at a time. Their rules make the fighter who wants out of it fight his way out.

K1 kickboxing rules don't allow grabbing the neck like that to clench. They also allow sweeps and throws, but since the move earns no points, not a lot of fighters do it. Glory follows K1 rules, and I have seen it there. It is demoralizing to a fighter when every time he throws a kick, the other guy catches his leg and slams him down to the mat.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sorry still don't get it. Your comment was in relation to a real fight where there are no rules. So assuming the guy has grabbed your neck which he s going to if he gets a chance.

So would it be better to try and release the neck hold first and then go for the takedown?

foreverAFC

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i used a muay thai clinch during bjj training against a much higher level guy when we were both standing, and he just hit me with a basic ogoshi hip throw and dumped me over lol

i hadnt broken his posture though, he kept his hips close to mine to prevent it and hit me the throw right away.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sorry still don't get it. Your comment was in relation to a real fight where there are no rules. So assuming the guy has grabbed your neck which he s going to if he gets a chance.

So would it be better to try and release the neck hold first and then go for the takedown?
There's different neck holds. The Muay Thai clinch holds the sides of your head. So I would trip the guy, fall on top of him, and then if he still doesn't let go, you press a bony part of your forearm into his face until you find a soft spot. He will let go, and you will either be in guard or mount, probably mount with someone inexperienced.

Getting out of a standing guillotine, aka front headlock, involves first check your hand off his hip to take the pressure off your neck. I had a guy literally carry me around by my head for a minute or so, feet swinging off the ground. I finally tripped him. You have to trip him to the side away from your head, so you don't face plant. Then press the face until he lets go. Even though I knew what to do, it took me a minute or so to get out of it, because the guy was so strong. The crowd loved it, though.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks BB. The front and side headlock r probably most common in the street. But with the amount of Muay Thai being taught in gyms it could happen

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
And just in case some newbie comes across this thread. We're talking about a situation where the guy has already grabbed you so grappling is happening.

Your best options running away fast

Next best option is angling and striking.

If you start wrestling with a guy there's nothing to stop his mate coming up and sticking a knife in your kidney.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Here's the video of what I was talking about

I'm the tall guy. I don't know for sure if my opponent was on something or not, but he was as strong as a horse. On the audio, some guy says "a lot more muscle on that one guy." He wasn't talking about me. Imagine the strongest guy you know grabbing your head and trying to rip it off...in front of a thousand people. I took the whole round to get there, but I did end up on top of him.

The link above is round one. I eventually lost by decision. In round two, I got blinded by the lights, and he hit me so hard on the side of my head that I still have the lump. I can feel it right now. It gave me a bad concussion, and a wicked attitude, call it self-preservation. I pinned him in an oma plata, and instead of finishing the move, hammer-fisted his kidneys. I would be happy to live the rest of my life without ever beating on another person like that again. Just the sound is gross. I could hear girls in the audience screaming ew! ew! ewww! because they were grossed out by the sound of me beating on him.

That fight was like a near-death experience for both of us. At the end of round 3, I had him in a triangle, and he was slowly passing out. His corner was yelling ya ok! ya ok! to tell him to not tap. He started to fall like a chopped tree, and then the final bell rang.

The ref grabbed both of us by the wrist so we couldn't go anywhere. My opponent said to the ref, "Why can't I go?" From my perspective, the cage was on hydraulics and it kept lifting up from side to side. If you have seen a fighter sway on his feet after getting hit, he's not swaying. It's the stupid ground that keeps moving. Both of us were barely able to keep it together for the formality of him being announced the winner. We both made it backstage before collapsing. He was whining to his dad about his ribs, but I was in worse shape, lying on the bathroom floor and puking occasionally. His dad came over and tried to talk to the first guy who had ever given his son a real fight. but I was too messed up to talk. About two hours later, I was able to walk again. My gf said I was an assh0le after the fight, but that is another side effect of having a concussion.

That experience probably shaved a few years off the ole life expectancy, but fvck it, I don't want to die without any scars.

Last edited:

Von

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No martial is practical in the street if you can't surpass the ''adrenaline/brain'' factor.

It's girl destablize you when you ask her or flirt with her.... to the point you forget ''the elaborate'' stuff or PUA techniques or ''oneitis factor'' than its the same in martial arts. The person with the brain ready will win

Keep it simple, stupid! Boxing and Judo are simple striking and wrestling arts.

However, the important is 1) Having fun 2) The instructors (especially in grabbling arts) 3) The teaching 4) Competion (a place where competition is will train your hit endurance and brain better, although rules remove the ''street'' factor)

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think you can get a little of the Street factor in dojo sparring. Go hard against the guys who are above your level you'll certainly get roughed up. Imagine he has a mate to one side of him. So you have to angle off to that side and get a couple of big hits in quickly. Practice getting in behind your opponent so you can use them as a shield.

Multiple sparring belts make you tired and so your techniques are sloppy which is what will happen when you're under emotional pressure.

These are all good skills for the street. Now I'm not saying you ever have to get in a street fight. But hey if you're going to spend the money on martial arts training you might as well gets the self defence benefits as insurance in case you're ever stuck somewhere where you can't run away or you have to defend someone.

And playing around with the variables in your own mental state is part of being a DJ.