Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Best Martial Art

CuddleJunkie

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Which one would you guys choose?
This is what I have avalaible in my area:
1. Wing Chun.
2. Boxing.
3. Kick Boxing.
4. Kung Fu.
5. Muay Thai.
6. Judo.
7. Karate.
8. Jeet Kune Do

Maybe I'm leaving something outside, but I don't remember any other kind in my area.

Von

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I did Aiki Jutjitsu (japanese jujitsu-articulation leverage-ground fighting-close quarter combat style), Muay Thai (full 8 limbs kickboxing), Brazilian Jutjitsu (avoid it... not efficient unless GraceJutjitsu but great community and tournaments), basic in Judo (wrestling)....

It depends what you want.... are you looking for combat value skills or shape ?

If its both.... Muay Thai and Judo is the way to go

For shape.... Boxing... judo

Combat value... it will depend on your teacher and the teaching done (hit first question later, simple is the best, avoid knife fight and fight in general etc...).... but Boxe or judo is the closest you'll get to real life

Muay Thai is a full style kickboxing (knee and ankle, strong hip kick) but the punching is weaker than boxing but basic valuable. The shape will depend on the teacher

Judo.... you'll be deadly in shape, its wrestling and using clothes as leverage

Boxing... you'll learn deadly arms skills, be greatly in shape... no kicks or bodyweight movement, based on rulles (its just upper game - tournament)

I would take Muay-Thai and Judo with great teachers.... why? Although Boxing might be better for shape and the street.... its less complete than Muay Thai, using limbs that are complementary to Judo. Judo is best wrestling you'll have and shape.

If Muay Thai teacher sucks... take Boxing

CuddleJunkie

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I did Aiki Jutjitsu (japanese jujitsu-articulation leverage-ground fighting-close quarter combat style), Muay Thai (full 8 limbs kickboxing), Brazilian Jutjitsu (avoid it... not efficient unless GraceJutjitsu but great community and tournaments), basic in Judo (wrestling)....

It depends what you want.... are you looking for combat value skills or shape ?

If its both.... Muay Thai and Judo is the way to go

For shape.... Boxing... judo

Combat value... it will depend on your teacher and the teaching done (hit first question later, simple is the best, avoid knife fight and fight in general etc...).... but Boxe or judo is the closest you'll get to real life

Muay Thai is a full style kickboxing (knee and ankle, strong hip kick) but the punching is weaker than boxing but basic valuable. The shape will depend on the teacher

Judo.... you'll be deadly in shape, its wrestling and using clothes as leverage

Boxing... you'll learn deadly arms skills, be greatly in shape... no kicks or bodyweight movement, based on rulles (its just upper game - tournament)

I would take Muay-Thai and Judo with great teachers.... why? Although Boxing might be better for shape and the street.... its less complete than Muay Thai, using limbs that are complementary to Judo. Judo is best wrestling you'll have and shape.

If Muay Thai teacher sucks... take Boxing
In depth reply mate, thanks a lot. I think I will go for Muay Thai. Taking both Muay Thai and Judo, plus lifting, would be too much for my bulking goals I think, but I will be interested in the future. Thanks again man.

Von

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just make sure the teacher are good. In Martials Arts, muscle mass isn't a priority.... it's strength and flexibilty (some of the strongest people in the world are short and slim :p)... so it will do a good mix with your lifting.

Ask anything if you want advice. Martial Art is a passion and it goes well with dancing (tango, salsa) because the basics are the same (hips, lineal movement in a boxe frame, body exposure)

CuddleJunkie

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just make sure the teacher are good. In Martials Arts, muscle mass isn't a priority.... it's strength and flexibilty (some of the strongest people in the world are short and slim :p)... so it will do a good mix with your lifting.

Ask anything if you want advice. Martial Art is a passion and it goes well with dancing (tango, salsa) because the basics are the same (hips, lineal movement in a boxe frame, body exposure)
I don't want to get super huge, but certainly bigger than I am right now, that's why once I reach a comfortable level I could focus more on martial arts. Thanks man, I will ask if I need!

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Brazilian Jutjitsu (avoid it... not efficient unless GraceJutjitsu but great community and tournaments)
It's the same thing. The Gracies invented BJJ. They have a chain of Gracie-branded gyms.

As to the effectiveness of BJJ in a real fight, you're supposed fall down like this:

And then say, "Now jump on me, and meet your doom!" I actually did that in an mma fight once. I was getting the crap beat out of me and the ref was about to call it. But I rolled back like that and the moron jumped on me. Never jump on a jiu-jitsu guy. I caught him in an oma plata, and instead of finishing the move, I pinned him down and beat on his ribs like I was tenderizing meat. On the tape later, I counted a dozen blows by sound alone, heard over a thousand screaming people. I could hear girls in the audience going "ew! ew! eww! gross!" It was the sound of the beating that was grossing them out.

As far as real fights go, BJJ works when you are losing. If someone tackles you, sits on your chest, and starts pummeling you, then you need to know how to get away, or you're going to die. I actually know a guy who died that way. A mount escape would have saved his life.

There's been a lot of sosuave threads debating the best martial art. Generally speaking, you want to learn a striking art and a grappling art. Beyond that, the place you choose to train should be influenced by the quality of instruction you have available. If it were me, I would look for a gym that produces real fighters - boxing, mma, or kickboxing. If it's BJJ, their guys should be winning medals at tournaments like NAGA and Pan Ams.

Some martial arts do not have any formal competitions, and those are the easiest ones for the sensai to be a fraud. I'm not saying they are all frauds, but if the students don't ever enter competitions, then you can't tell if they are any good or not.

Asmodeus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I say mix and match. Find what is most effective for you.
I learned boxing, to create angles, footwork, punching ect... Certainly one who is well trained in this can throw punches that would fracture a normal persons jawbone. But if the opponent decides to ground and pound and gets the jump on me then all my techniques become a lot more limited.
Jujitsu and grappling arts can be useful, but depends on the situation, the opponent, and other factors. If the opponent is bigger and stronger then being more agile and striking is often a better tactical decision.
Jeet Kune Do is a mixture of things but hard to find instruction on as so few practice it, and some who do are frauds. However, I do sugget reading Tao of Jeet Kune Do by Bruce Lee, it is a good book that mixes martial arts techinques with some Taoist philosophy.

Attachments

yuppee

Banned
Reaction score
I became quite deadly in 6 months, actually. No, it doesn't take years to learn to kick, either. But you DO have to realize that kicks rarely are sensibly used for targets more than thigh level. If you learn to tuck up your toes, fold down your ankle and have shoes on you won't hurt your foot and you'll hurt him FAR more than is possible with the flat/top of the foot, with a lot less risk of hurting yourself. The difference in the damage done is at least 10 to 1

You do NOT have to go down on the ground WITH him, ya know. You can kick him while he's down, and you can throw things into his face just AS you kick, too. Once he's down, it's quite easy to put him in a wheelchair for life, where he belongs.

raider87

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I've only boxed. If you get a good teacher, your interested and you have natural talent/power, you can become proper deadly. The thing is though no one will really know but you how dangerous you are and most men have the delusion they can fight.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Silat and Filipino arts also deserve a mention as being complete systems with striking, grappling and weapons.

Who Dares Win

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I suggest you to do MMA for two reasons.

1) your body, mind and nerves are trained to be effective

2) the techniques are set to be effective in a fight with no waste of time and energy to make visually impressive or anything else you dont need to be offensive.

You basically have a little bit of both striking skills and grappling one and you learn how to make them work togheter, you cant wrestle a wrestler or kick a kick boxer but you can play a 360 degrees game according to what you need while having a enough skills in your opponent field to defend you while planning your attack.

Also keep in mind that its not just a matter of knowledge or techinque, gas, mindset and nerves play a role and you train them fighting an opponent which is not cooperative and fights back, many conventional martial arts dont let you simulate fights.

Personally Im reborn since I begun, I feel like Im 20 again.

mrgoodstuff

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I suggest you to do MMA for two reasons.

1) your body, mind and nerves are trained to be effective

2) the techniques are set to be effective in a fight with no waste of time and energy to make visually impressive or anything else you dont need to be offensive.

You basically have a little bit of both striking skills and grappling one and you learn how to make them work togheter, you cant wrestle a wrestler or kick a kick boxer but you can play a 360 degrees game according to what you need while having a enough skills in your opponent field to defend you while planning your attack.

Also keep in mind that its not just a matter of knowledge or techinque, gas, mindset and nerves play a role and you train them fighting an opponent which is not cooperative and fights back, many conventional martial arts dont let you simulate fights.

Personally Im reborn since I begun, I feel like Im 20 again.
What if we don't want cartilage trimmed from our ears. And what if we don't want broken joints costing huge medical bills and making it hard to go to work?

Who Dares Win

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What if we don't want cartilage trimmed from our ears. And what if we don't want broken joints costing huge medical bills and making it hard to go to work?
Pick one between yoga, pilates and ballet.

Also salsa if you want to attend a place with more women than men.

dutchmaster

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Wing Chun is probably the most lethal, however I am friends with a lot of bouncers from when I use to work at a big club in NYC and they say the most practical and useful in day to day is Krav Maga. It's what the Israeli Special Forces use and most of them train with to kick people out the clubs.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There are a lot of moves that are basically the same, even though the art has a different name. For example, there's four ways to bend a wrist: up, down, left, and right. The difference between kicking a guy out of a club with a Japanese Jiu-Jitsu wrist lock versus a Krav Maga wrist lock is minimal. It's the same move.

Cauliflower ear is genetic. Some people just don't get it.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
From your list jkd would be good if it's authentic and not just some guy trying to cash in.

For the sake of completeness I'd also say Filipino martial arts and silat are effective and well rounded.

dutchmaster

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
There are a lot of moves that are basically the same, even though the art has a different name. For example, there's four ways to bend a wrist: up, down, left, and right. The difference between kicking a guy out of a club with a Japanese Jiu-Jitsu wrist lock versus a Krav Maga wrist lock is minimal. It's the same move.

Cauliflower ear is genetic. Some people just don't get it.
Yeah there was plenty of guys there who did Judo, muay thai kickboxing etc, but they did most agree that krav maga is the most practical for street fights. The club I was in, it had bad neighborhoods surrounding it so these guys had to be equipped to not just kick people out, but handle them if they come back with friends or weapons.

I never participated in MMA. I did use to love watching Pride. But, I try to avoid physical fights in general, so I personally am not experienced in this field. These guys seemed to know their sh1t though.

Huffman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think everyone agrees that
- Krav Maga is the most advanced and modern self defense
- MMA combinations (of a striking and ground fighting art) are most effective at cage fighting

Anything else - you do because you enjoy it, but it's not the most lethal or effective or whatever. I personally train traditional Goju-Ryu Karate because I like it, but I certainly know what I'm doing and what I'm not doing.