Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Being Fat Makes You Stupid

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I always suspected there was a link.

http://health.usnews.com/health-new...ht-lower-teens-thinking-skills-study-suggests

Obesity Might Lower Teens' Thinking Skills, Study Suggests
Those with cluster of symptoms did worse on tests, showed brain changes on MRI

September 3, 2012
By Alan Mozes
HealthDay Reporter

MONDAY, Sept. 3 (HealthDay News) -- As the childhood obesity epidemic continues in the United States, more kids are developing an array of heart risk factors linked to obesity known as the "metabolic syndrome."

Now, a study suggests that these obesity-linked changes may be affecting kids' minds as well as their bodies.

The new study finds that adolescents with these conditions -- which include abdominal obesity, unhealthy cholesterol/trigylceride levels and high blood pressure -- are more likely to perform more poorly on tests of mental ability compared to their healthy peers.

MRI scans also showed certain worrisome differences in brain structure among children with the metabolic syndrome, the researchers said.

According to study lead author Dr. Antonio Convit, until recently it's been thought that "the bad things that can happen among kids with metabolic syndrome are 20 years in the future. But, this work demonstrates that these health issues are having a deleterious impact on a kid's brain now. Today."

Convit is a professor of psychiatry and medicine at the NYU Langone School of Medicine. He and his team published the findings online Sept. 3 and in the October print issue of Pediatrics.

The finding stems from U.S. National Institutes of Health-funded research that involved roughly 110 teens. A little under half of them had been diagnosed with at least three or more of the five specific health conditions that characterize metabolic syndrome: abdominal obesity, low good (HDL) cholesterol, high triglycerides, high blood pressure, and/or pre-diabetic levels of insulin resistance.

Previous research has shown such an association among adults, but this latest report suggests the effect on intellect from metabolic syndrome may occur more rapidly and at a much younger age than thought.

"It's also important to note that this was really a real-world study with a very conservative approach," added Convit, who is also a member of the New York State Office of Mental Health's Nathan Kline Research Institute. "We didn't compare kids with metabolic syndrome against kids who were squeaky clean, but against healthier kids who still might have had one or two of the things that make up metabolic syndrome rather than the three or more minimum [needed] for a metabolic syndrome diagnosis," he explained.

"And with that, what we found was that those with metabolic syndrome performed about 10 percent less well, on average, on a series of cognitive [intellectual] tests that look at things like spelling and math. They were still performing within the normal range, but significantly less well on skills that are very relevant for predicting school performance," Convit said. "And who would want their kids to perform 10 percent less than their potential, even if they're performing within the normal range?"

Convit also pointed out that 54 percent of American teens are now either overweight or obese. And an estimated 30 percent to 40 percent of those weight-challenged adolescents struggle with metabolic syndrome.

"So the numbers," he stressed, "are huge."

In the study, the scientists focused on 49 teens diagnosed with metabolic syndrome and 62 who were not, making sure that both groups were similar in terms of age, school grade, gender, ethnicity and socio-economic background.

All the children underwent a battery of 17 tests that probed, among other things, abilities in the realm of attention, mental flexibility, reading, writing and arithmetic.

Those with metabolic syndrome performed more poorly on all of the tests than those without the condition. Seven of those tests reached what the team deemed to be "statistical significance."

Adding to what the authors described as "alarming results" on the tests, MRI scans revealed that the group with metabolic syndrome had experienced a relative 10 percent reduction in the volume of the hippocampus region of their brains. What's more, brain atrophy was also found to be more prevalent among these teens in the parts of the brain that make connections between different neurological regions.

"So, what this means is that even though the hippocampus reductions were not so severe as to be in the abnormal range, the brains of [these] kids are not working on all pistons," Convit said. "Which means there is probably a good reason that those who are obese often tend to drop out of school more often than those who are not. They probably are more frustrated because they can't learn as readily. That 10 percent drop probably does make a difference."

So what should be done? "We should be doing more than simply looking at blood pressure when children visit the doctor," Convit said. "We should be looking at a wide range of health measures, and looking out for how these kids' brains are working. And parents should be made aware that lifestyle changes at home, where it really needs to begin, may be critical to keeping their kids healthy and ensuring that they can perform to their potential."

Lona Sandon, an assistant professor of clinical nutrition at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, agreed that "this study just further supports the need to find ways to prevent childhood obesity in the first place."

She noted that "a lot of this does start at home. Pediatricians need to work to encourage parents to help their children adopt good diets and nutritional patterns and activity patterns, so they can stay lean and physically fit. Because the problems kids experience from being overweight or obese aren't just about looks or self-esteem. And they're not just about heart disease issues that can develop 20 or 30 years from now. We're talking about cognitive ability impairment that can affect school performance pretty immediately. It's a here-and-now problem that needs to be tackled head on."

While the study found an association between poor test scores and metabolic syndrome in kids, it didn't prove a cause-and-effect relationship.

break yourself

Don Juan
Reaction score
correlation does not equal causation... being fat does nothing to make you score poorly on tests. seems more likely it's the other way around. or, even more likely than that, there's a 3rd variable affecting obesity and test scores, like poverty, impulsivity, being generally care-free, etc.... not to be racist, but african americans and hispanics have higher rates of obesity, lower standardized test scores, and more poverty, which are likely caused by historical american culture...... to say obesity causes low test scores is too simple.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I could see how being stupid could make you fat. And I'd say the human race probably does get dumber every year. But we are getting fat much faster than we are becoming stupid.

Michael456

Banned
Reaction score
Yes being too fatty make us stupid.
And I don't want to be stupid so I have started my efforts to reduce my increasing weight.
I am doing cardio at morning for 45 minutes daily, I hope it will help me to cut my extra belly fat.

TheStig

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree with this, but not fully. Obviously just because someone is overweight does NOT mean they are stupid, because I know many people who are overweight/obese and are highly intelligent.

However, I do think that for some people, being inactive and obese means the person is probably lazy. I know this is a huge generalization, but I'm theorizing here. Someone who is obese may be more likely to waste a lot more free time on TV, video games, the internet (non learning purposes), eating (obviously)...basically things that don't necessarily better one's self. I'll admit though, I do all these things sometimes when I need to shut off my brain and relax, but not for hours on end every day, like some WoW geeks, or extremely lazy people.

Then again, it is possible for someone to be overweight and very active, but they are just overweight because they eat far too much.

I know for me, working out and being active puts me in an overall better state of mind, makes me feel better overall, and gives me more ambition to strive to get to my fullest potential. I feel more drive to better myself.

Short answer, I think being obese mostly equals laziness, not being stupid, like the kids in school who are intelligent, but don't do well because they just don't try or have the drive.

Who Dares Win

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It doesnt take any intervention among families as the article suggest but simly stop saying that being fat is ok and fat people must be accepted.

That would be like saying that people cutting their own arms are ok and must be accepted or any other self damaging attitude.

And dont let me started about public healthcare system here in Europe, Im not free to ride my motorbike without helmet cause "I may pose an extra cost on people" while this fat fvcks can eat till they explode and be free to use hospitals and my money to cure self produced diabetes, joint and backspine problems plus many more too long to list.

Im not free to run 6 weeks of test even if I pay for it and for my pct yet those motherfvckers are free to get fat at my expenses.

Also fat girls pose a threat to social peace since they force men (even peaceful ones) to be belligerant to each other to competer for the few hot ones, same with people stealing and cheating since the minimum requirement for quality pvssy grows proportionally to land whales.

goundra

Banned
Reaction score
stupidty and laziness cause BOTH obesity adn poor test scores. then the stupidith and lazinessand obsesity cause lack of employment and social acceptaces, so thefatter stays at home, eats cheap food stamp junk food, and does nothing. So it all gets worse, then the fat related diseases get them. Too slowly, in my book. if the problems arose instantly, people wouldn't do such things.

Dasim22

Banned
Reaction score
Im not totally able to drive my motorcycle without headgear cause "I may cause an expense on people" while this fat fvcks can eat until they burst and be totally able to use medical centers and my money to treat self created diabetic issues, combined and backspine issues plus many more too long to record.

Bokanovsky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
The new study finds that adolescents with these conditions -- which include abdominal obesity, unhealthy cholesterol/trigylceride levels and high blood pressure -- are more likely to perform more poorly on tests of mental ability compared to their healthy peers.
This is not news...Even the ancient Romans knew that a healthy mind inhabits a healthy body (mens sana in corpore sano).

slowikjud

Reaction score
Lowell said:
Ya of course being too fat make you stupid.
A person with a huge belly, and heavy back and shoulders really looks like a stupid person.
Fat people are not that really stupid, its just that they don't have a good eating habit or shall we say they cannot manage and control their eating habit well.

wilson302

Reaction score
I would like to agree with you, because Smart working of mind requires Proper fitness, neither Thin nor so Fat.
Also there is a famous Proverb about Fatness Describing it,

“Thin people are beautiful but fat people are adorable!”
- Jackie Gleason

Bokanovsky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
og.reality said:
Actually i do not believe this at all :D Fat people are smart too
If you look at the list of 100 richest people in the world, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who is obese. Some of them may be slightly overweight, which is normal for older men, but literally not a single obese person.

http://www.forbes.com/billionaires/list/

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

DJLondoner

Don Juan
Reaction score
No surprise there... even before MRI scans and all that fancy tech stuff... many people in history thought the same thing.

yuppee

Banned
Reaction score
not necessarily cause and effect. Probably just resulting from the same sort of laziness and lack of mental discipline. I need to lose 30 lbs myself and have had the problem for a decade.

Yewki

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's not the weight that's affecting their intelligence, their intelligence is affecting their weight.