Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Austerity

Rainman4707

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just finished reading "the way of the superior man" by David Deida.
One of the last points he makes is trying to find your true edge -

"Austerity means to eliminate the comforts & cushions in your life that you have learned to snuggle into & lose wakefulness. take away anything that dulls your edge. No newspapers or magazines. No TV. No candy, cookies or sweets. No sex. No cuddling. No reading of anything at all while you eat or sit on the loo. Reduce to working time to an necessary minimum. No movies. No conversation that isn't about the truth, love or the divine. If you take on these disciplines for a few weeks, as well as any other disciplines that may particularly cut through your unique habits of dullness, then your life will be stripped of routine distraction. All that will be left is your edge you have been avoiding by means of your daily routine. You will have to face the basic discomfort & dissatisfaction that is the hidden texture of your life. You will be alive with the challenge of living your truth, rather than hiding from it."

Any thoughts?

LiveYourDream

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Not many understand, let alone are willing to walk, such an uncommon path. The potential benefits, if one is truly rigorous and perseveres with laser like focus upon truth, far outweigh any discomfort ever perceived along the way.

Huffman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Not many understand, let alone are willing to walk, such an uncommon path. The potential benefits, if one is truly rigorous and perseveres with laser like focus upon truth, far outweigh any discomfort ever perceived along the way.
Very romantic, but care to elaborate why this is your opinion?

SmooveMooves

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What purpose does this serve? What do you REALLY gain? I find philosophies like these no only pretentious but impractical as well.

Facing discomfort, how does this add to your life? What are you proving? To whom? Just my opinion.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Seneca s take on this was that if you periodically live a life of austerity it would remove fear from your life. Basically you'd experienced the worst scenario life as a poor person and you survived and realised it just wasn't that bad.

Tictac

Banned
Reaction score
Seneca s take on this was that if you periodically live a life of austerity it would remove fear from your life. Basically you'd experienced the worst scenario life as a poor person and you survived and realised it just wasn't that bad.
In was a combat soldier for six years in the Viet Nam era. Did 2.5 tours. In country on FOB's etc, life was pretty miserable. I remember some of the greatest happiness of my life coming back from operations, taking a (cold) shower, eating cooked food and sleeping indoors. It was a Zen experience. I was entirely happy.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My take on this is that in the developed world we're not poor for money. We are time poor and distracted. So if you take that to it's logical conclusion you experience first world poverty by making yourself extremely busy. You just better make yourself busy with worthwhile pursuits.

I think Deida is pointing out that in his usual mysterious and esoteric way. So to me if your working out, socializing, meditating and reading books you're not going to have time for TV and social media. So you're good to go and don't need the austerity break.

On the other hand anausterity break is just another challenge and anything that challenges your will and strength as a man is a good thing.

Last edited:

taiyuu_otoko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I recently read a book about the 5000 year history of Africa. (Martin Meridith - The Fortunes of Africa) There was this Egyptian dude who basically did that for 10-15 years. Lived in a cave and prayed. Only lived because people would bring him food. After a while, he believed God was speaking directly to him. Pretty soon other people believed it too. When he knew they believed, he started telling them God was telling him to have certain people killed for not being faithful enough.

Pretty soon he became a horrible and feared holy man, able to cast death where he pleased.

So there's that potential benefit, if you can hold on for 10-15 years.

Although if one were to go the cult leader route, I'd recommend being a mormon, then you could have plenty of teenage wives.

Rainman4707

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think Deida is trying to say if you do this for a few weeks, you will know what you want to do in life.

It's like Warrior recommended, if you're sitting around trying to find yourself. GO OUT & WALK, THEN WALK SOME MORE & KEEP FU*KING WALKING UNTIL YOU FIND YOURSELF!!

Rainman4707

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys. It's been great to discuss this, as it has made the subject more clear to me.

Rainman4707

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
TicTac has a point. I think some people always want more.

Taiyuu also has a point. In the past I have overthought a LOT. I decided it's no good & just leads to worry.
I keep myself occupied a lot nowadays, so that i'm not sitting around thinking about things. I will allow myself one hour maximum to think, when i'm at work & not studying. I will not think about one thing for more than fifteen mins each day.

LiveYourDream

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think Deida is trying to say if you do this for a few weeks, you will know what you want to do in life.
I suspect this your first experience of Deida and his material/teachings?

At its core, Deida's recommendation is aimed at something deeper than, what to do with your life. Understand such rewards are not generally garnered after just a few weeks of attention. Deida doesn't hang out in the shallower ends of the pool so much. His personal pursuits and teachings, generally look to engage depth and the experience of expansiveness, beyond common experience.

(Please know I am not intending to advocate more of his material, to you. It would depend on what you desire most, as to my own recommendations.)

Last edited:

LiveYourDream

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just finished reading "the way of the superior man" by David Deida.
One of the last points he makes is trying to find your true edge -

"Austerity means to eliminate the comforts & cushions in your life that you have learned to snuggle into & lose wakefulness. take away anything that dulls your edge. No newspapers or magazines. No TV. No candy, cookies or sweets. No sex. No cuddling. No reading of anything at all while you eat or sit on the loo. Reduce to working time to an necessary minimum. No movies. No conversation that isn't about the truth, love or the divine. If you take on these disciplines for a few weeks, as well as any other disciplines that may particularly cut through your unique habits of dullness, then your life will be stripped of routine distraction. All that will be left is your edge you have been avoiding by means of your daily routine. You will have to face the basic discomfort & dissatisfaction that is the hidden texture of your life. You will be alive with the challenge of living your truth, rather than hiding from it."

Any thoughts?
Non-attachment to that which surrounds you is a tremendous learning. It alone can forever change one's life and reward one with a freedom not commonly known.

The practice of giving up stuff and going without, can be utilized as an even deeper practice. What is also available, to those that are earnest, is the opportunity to learn non-attachment, to your identification with who you think you are. One has the opportunity to see and experience, that 'stuff' is often used in unawareness, as a cue, to re-identify oneself with a story of who one is, rather than be present to the experience in the moment, simply as it is. If pursued in earnestness, one has the opportunity to unravel and experience new levels of insight and freedom.

SeymourCake

Banned
Reaction score
To practice true austerity, you must give up your computer as well. If you are using a computer, then make sure you are using it for good use the same way you are only subjected to converse exclusively about truth, love, and the divine. Otherwise, it serves no purpose.

Rainman4707

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So, is there anyone here on SoSuave or any members that have posted in this discussion living from their deepest purpose?