Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Are you supposed to work forearms?

parkthebus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So I had a PT write me a training schedule up, designed to build muscle, but there's no excersizes for forearms and I've not seen anyone at the gym doing anything that is obviously for forearms. Is it to be expected that the forearm will grow with the rest of the arm without working on it specifically?

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No need. Gripping the bar works your forearms. So does making chicks squirt ;-) if u work the heavy bag, clenching your fist when u hit also works forearms. The idea is that you start the punch with a half closed fist and then squeeze at the last half second when you hit.

parkthebus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No need. Gripping the bar works your forearms. So does making chicks squirt ;-) if u work the heavy bag, clenching your fist when u hit also works forearms. The idea is that you start the punch with a half closed fist and then squeeze at the last half second when you hit.
What are the other results of heavy bag? Is it borderline cardio? Better for toning than muscle gain? BTW, if you can get someone to help, I used to do kick boxing and the best forearm workout I ever had was when punching the mitts. The guy who's holding the mitts thrusts his hands towards yours just before impact. However, this might just be an imitation of a punch bag.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I ve done a fair bit of kickboxing. If you go all out 10 minutes of heavy bag work is a good cardio workout. If you're using light weight bag gloves I suggest going for Speed rather than power put all the power into your kicks and elbow strikes that's easier on the joints. If you want to hit the bag hard I suggest using full size boxing gloves.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's looks a bit crappy but I'd also suggest getting some elastic bandages for your knees when you're doing kicking training with a heavy bag it's just stops your knees moving about sideways when you're throwing kicks and that's much Kinder on your ACL ligament.

And of course any guy who gives you s*** about how you look when you re working the heavy bag deserves a Darwin Award.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Oh and you get better cardio if you actually think about your kick boxing workout. Since you're doing the workout anyway you might as well get better at self defence as well.

So........

Basically you don't train just at fighting distance trading punches with a guy you want to practice 5 things.

Stepping to the side and throwing punches and kicks.
When you are at punching range stepping back and kicking.
When you are at punching range stepping in and to the side and throwing elbows especially to the arms and body - most guys will use their arms to cover up providing a perfect opportunity to throw an elbow to the bicep or the point of the shoulder
Sprawls and sidestepping for when some MMA guy tries to grab your leg.

Practice these things and you will give most Fighters fits. You seem like a laid back and we'll adjusted guy but you are young so just in case last piece of advice is don't ever start any trouble. Martial arts is just for fitness and a bit of an insurance policy. There's a lot of guys like me walking around and a lot of young guys carry blades these days.

marmel75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My advise is to get Captains of Crush and Fatgripz. Your forearms will be strong as hell within a few months

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey word of warning too. Don't work your forearms too hard. Even at 19 I would ease into it. Reason is you use your forearms for just about every type of exercise so if you get injured you won't be able to train anything.

Krueg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You dont need to directly isolate your forearms to make them bigger or stronger. Gaining weight will add to your overall mass/size. Deadlifting and barbell rows will indirectly work your forearms. Personally I like to do some heavy shrugs / Bar Holds at the end of my deadlift days to work on my grip.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So I had a PT write me a training schedule up, designed to build muscle, but there's no excersizes for forearms and I've not seen anyone at the gym doing anything that is obviously for forearms. Is it to be expected that the forearm will grow with the rest of the arm without working on it specifically?
I work my forearms separately. I differ from most guys here in what I want to accomplish. I agree with them that overall weight gain does obviously grow your forearms, but I want MORE forearm growth than the rest. I want my forearms and calves to grow in relation to the rest of my body. I can't really afford to gain more weight and really don't want to - at least in the sheer measurements category. I wouldn't mind gaining strength.

But, unfortunately, it seems forearms/calves are directly related to genetics and bone structure, so what I want to accomplish may not be possible. I have made them bigger though, but I highly doubt I'll ever make them a strength. I focus more of my workouts on hand strength rather than hammer curls and things like that. I've injured myself doing the curling motions too much, but I've found with hand strengthening, that takes care of everything else and gives me the definition I want.