Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

The Poverty Diet

LiveYourDream

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Study: 60% of the American diet is "ultra-processed" food.
http://time.com/4252515/calories-processed-food/
I knew it was low but this one surprised me,"...the report shows, Americans get less than 1% of their daily calories from vegetables." Wow!

I'd venture to say that very absence of vegetables, and their natural vitamins, minerals and fiber, directly relates to how unhealthy many Americans are. Switch that 60% intake of processed food, for vegetables and other healthy sources of whole natural foods, and the resultant increase in health would be remarkable.

A body needs proper fuel for optimum function. The body can only work with what it is given. Disease does not begin from a lack of medication. For example, a headache is not the body signaling a deficiency of aspirin. Our culture sure treats the body as such. I hope people wake up.

Last edited:

Tamura

Don Juan
Reaction score
The earliest drug we become addicted to is sugar. I'm inclined to say it is impossible to eat without sugar nowadays, because it's in almost every processed food.

We live in a society of not just bad but abundance food and I find myself often fighting the temptation to eat whenever I want. Although I'm eating healthy I put on weight dramatically after quitting smoking beginning this year. So, I'm still struggling to find my balance (and my abs) again.

@Bible_Belt: I would have expected peanut-butter being unhealthy as well. Don't you miss important ingredients in the long run? What about meat and fish?

yuppee

Banned
Reaction score
Watch naked and afraid. There's no such thing as a person who "can't lose weight". You can and will lose a lb or more per day if you really "work" at it.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
thanks BB. I'm going to try this only thing is lentils and beans don't work well in my guts. so I'm going to buy a sack of brown basmati rice and use that as the meal base. Geez between dating Asian chicks meditating doing my martial arts and eating like a rice boy I seem to be turning into an egg ;-)

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
only thing I would add to the thread is the importance of vegetables kale spinach cucumber and celery should be part of any diet as they help reduce acidity in the body

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My cousin has chickens, and sells me eggs for $2.50 a dozen. That's about half what the co-op charges for farm eggs. When chickens are allowed to graze outside and eat grass and bugs, the nutritional content of the eggs goes up several times over.

From what I read, eggs have about 80 calories, but 1-2 eggs fills me up for hours. Today I had five eggs. Three of them were in an egg salad with mayo and lime juice; the 2 heaping tbsp of mayo doubles the calories. I had about a tbsp of coconut oil in my coffee this morning, but even with that, I've had 700 calories today, worked outside all day, and I'm not hungry. My food budget for today was about $1.25. I had almost zero carbs.

This is how common people used to live before everyone got fat - they did physical labor and ate small amounts of simple, clean food. People today sit on their ass and eat garbage; that's why they are fat.

dasein

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Glad to see this thread still going. My latest poverty diet discoveries, no I don't work for Big Lots, just enjoy seeing how little I can spend on a great diet:

1. Get raw popcorn at Big Lots for $1.00 a bag, put in pyrex bowl with lid in microwave, no oil. Experiment with the amount of corn, size of bowl/lid and time. 3:20 on my microwave. USE POTHOLDERS TO TAKE IT OUT OF MICROWAVE AND TAKE LID OFF FAST. transfer from cooking bowl to eating bowl by pouring or scooping it out, remember the potholders at all times or you will burn your hand. Spray olive oil from a plant mister or clean spray bottle into corn. Don't need to spray much. Salt and pepper, curry powder. Each bag makes about 10 servings. Use a big plastic bowl with a lid to eat from so you can put the lid on and shake it up before eating.

2. Sprout spread. Soak 2 tsp flax seeds in water overnight (Huge bag for $3.00 at Big Lots, will last months). Drain off water, mix flax goo with salsa. Spread on Wasa bread ($2.00 a pack at Big Lots) or whatever you want to spread it on. Can do the same with lots of sprout fodder. Could mix with peanut butter, but haven't tried that.

3. Microgreen salad and dressing. Grow sprouts by whatever method for 4-6 days. Vids all over youtube and it's cheap and easy. Drizzle olive oil, cider vinegar, blackstrap molasses over sprouts in bowl. Add chunked onions, tomatoes, mushrooms (far and away the most expensive food I buy per weight lol) steamed chilled kale/mustard greens/spinach/broccoli or turnip greens.

4. Fast baby carrots. $.99 a bag on sale. Cover bottom of small casserole dish. Add 1/2 cup water. Microwave high 3.5-5 min. Let cool. Dip in cinnamon. Great sugary snack sub.

When I hear those bullshcitt PSAs about how many millions of people are "food insecure" in the US because wholesome food is too expensive, I shoot a bird in the air. Don't be fooled by their lies.

Anderson Rome

Reaction score
I found some useful stuff from this thread. Every one have shared wonderful information about diet. Thank you all for sharing and keep it up.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Here's a clearance-rack steak I bought for $2.11 : http://i.imgur.com/gKwknbl.jpg

It's in a foil-lined grill basket with garlic, olive oil, and slices of tomatoes I grew myself. Beef prices have been going up for a long time, which brings quality down. What would be cheap, gristly beef is quite good when cooked with my tomatoes. It boils in the acidic juice, which melts the gristle and makes the meat tender. My $2 steak is a $20 entree at any fine restaurant, but I know mine tastes better.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
only thing I would add to the thread is the importance of vegetables kale spinach cucumber and celery should be part of any diet as they help reduce acidity in the body
I put those in a shake every morning. Kale, cucumber, celery, grapes, apples, bananas and water. I don't do spinach because I eat enough of that as it is, I like the taste.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just fyi, Kale coming out of California is contaminated with Thallium, a heavy metal. A little won't hurt you, but health nuts who eat enough kale smoothies are having bad side effects from it, hair falling out, etc. That's all the more reason to shop at a local farmer's market.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, here's an interesting twist to this thread - I'm now on welfare.

I've been letting a 21 y/o girl live with me. We fvck occasionally, but are not super into each other. She has nowhere else to go, and I like waking up to a nice pair or t!ts in my face. She really wasn't that down for the poverty diet, believe it or not, and I got tired of buying her food, so we applied for what in Illinois is called a "link card," basically food stamps. It just came today. We get $357 a month. I think that is a ridiculously extravagant amount. I could live for a year on that much money. I see news stories about food banks being low on food, and I'm thinking most of the food bank customers must have traded their food stamps for meth and pills, which is why they need the food bank.

The challenge now is to use the money wisely. I'm not going to buy a bunch of junk food and get fat. I'm about to be food rich, though, instead of food poor. It will certainly be a change of perspective.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lentils used to be 99 cents a pound. They went up in 2016 to $1.69 or so. But that is still cheaper than $3/lb. I looked up dried beans online before, and they were more expensive than the grocery store.

At first I thought the honorable thing to do would be to donate to a food bank, but fvck it, those people are eligible for the same food stamps I am. They just sold them for meth.

Curiously, I actually accept food stamps as a farmer's market vendor. I didn't see anything in the rules about not being allowed to buy food from myself with my own welfare money. This sh!t is hilarious.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just bought what felt like more groceries than I have ever purchased at once. The cart was full and hard to push. It was barely $100. The card had 1.5 months on it when it came, so there's still $400 on it. This is absurd. The two of us can't eat this much food if we tried.

The food welfare system is a marriage of the corporate food producers and the government. The former gets free taxpayer money and the latter gets power over the people connected to the system. I was rooting for the state of Illinois to go out of business; we're right on the brink of doing so right now. But then I wouldn't get mah welfares. This is what keeps the masses from storming the Bastille.

The cost of healthcare is killing this country right now. No one seems to know why. I think the food welfare system is largely to blame. The corporations peddle the highest profit margin food they can, which ends up being the least healthy. People are too stupid, lazy, and spoiled to just buy healthy cheap food and cook it, like in all of history until now. Instead they buy convenience carbs, everyone gets obese, and then later it's a big surprise when we have health problems?

Last edited:

Asmodeus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just bought what felt like more groceries than I have ever purchased at once. The cart was full and hard to push. It was barely $100. The card had 1.5 months on it when it came, so there's still $400 on it. This is absurd. The two of us can't each this much food if we tried.

The food welfare system is a marriage of the corporate food producers and the government. The former gets free taxpayer money and the latter gets power over the people connected to the system. I was rooting for the state of Illinois to go out of business; we're right on the brink of doing so right now. But then I wouldn't get mah welfares. This is what keeps the masses from storming the Bastille.

The cost of healthcare is killing this country right now. No one seems to know why. I think the food welfare system is largely to blame. The corporations peddle the highest profit margin food they can, which ends up being the least healthy. People are too stupid, lazy, and spoiled to just buy healthy cheap food and cook it, like in all of history until now. Instead they buy convenience carbs, everyone gets obese, and then later it's a big surprise when we have health problems?
That is more money than I spend on groceries by a good bit. I see people in the store using their EBT to buy mostly junk food and ringing up 100 dollar orders with it and I never go above $50 with my orders (which are mostly containing very low fat foods and lots of veggies). It just bamboozles me. Oatmeal is cheap, carrots are cheap, skim milk is cheap, bananas are very cheap... Lack of finances is no excuse for having an unhealthy diet. It is just a cop out.

I think there should be reform in the EBT/welfare system to try and incentivize healthy eating somehow.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was just reading the whfoods article about bananas. I had dismissed them as being sugar and junk carbs, but it looks like it's not that simple.
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=7
Even though bananas are a fruit that tastes quite sweet when ripe—containing 14-15 grams of total sugar—bananas receive a rating of low in their glycemic index (GI) value. GI measures the impact of a food on our blood sugar.