Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Hobbies: more or less

JohnChops

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No more keyboard jockeying . Action is the place.
So right now I have a lot of lingering hobbies and I finally have the time to pursue them, but here is the thing: do I focus on 1 or 2 hobbies or just pursue them all?

My thinking is that if I try to do them all, then I will never become any good at any particular hobby because you need a lot of time to develop the skills for said hobby. So if you have less hobbies -> more time to focus on them individually -> you'll be better at them.

More hobbies -> less time to focus on each one -> end up never being any good at any of them, just mediocre.

What do you guys think?

Glumix

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
It's OK to do many things but if you feel like you wanna become good in a particular discipline you have to spend a lot of time on it. Consequently you will naturally get rid of everything else. I personaly focus on 1 or 2 hobby.

Asmodeus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That question depends on you and what you find satisfying. Do you only want to do one or two hobbies and be good at them? Is being a master at a single hobby better than being a jack of all trades? Are these hobbies just for pleasure, or do they add something more to your life?
Certainly focusing on one will make you better at that one hobby, but then again doing many hobbies makes you have some experience in many things. Both are relatively equal.

Asmodeus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I myself however find just focusing on a single hobby to be best for me. Music is good to do when I get a bit lost in my mind. Plus, it is a win/win because I can then use this talent to show off. Got with a rather attractive girl before because I saw she had a guitar with her and we jammed together a bit (first with instruments, and then, well you know)...

Attachments

Skyline

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I usually focus 100% on one hobby until I get burnt out. When that happens I move onto the next and if I don't have any, I try to find new ones.

When I get bored of that one I either go back to a previous hobby or find another one... The point is, just be better than the average person at whatever you're doing.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been in both places. It's great to try new things, and socially it's also an advantage to have a number of interests. But at some point in my late 30s or early 40s I discovered I had accumulated too many interests, and I had to pare them back.

Generally, now I just keep to a few hobbies. Focusing on one or two is the best way to build real skill at them. Plus hobbies tend to cost money, so if you have a lot of hobbies it will be expensive.

For example, I quit playing golf because it was expensive and I wasn't very good at it. Sometimes I miss it though, it's great being out on the golf course.

LiveFreeX

Banned
Reaction score
Whenever I get a little down, I find myself going into Minecraft with a friend and surviving a couple nights.

Hobbies don't cost a damn thing, Minecraft is for everyone... and if you need a mission then FortressCraft or Subnautica.

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Take it from a man who has struggled with spreading himself too thin for most of his life. If you are undecided about your passion for two different things, delve into both and decide on one.

If you can identify a preferred hobby, put the other aside and pursue that one with everything you've got. You can always shift gears later.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Maybe choose one to focus on, and one to d!ck around with. For instance I like piano and singing, and can spend a lot of time improving on that. I also like shooting baskets/playing basketball but more for fun and exercise and to take my mind off things, not to compete in organized sports. One can be a respite from the other.

LiveFreeX

Banned
Reaction score
Piano is excellent, do more of that... get involved with people online and collaborate on projects. If I had that gift, I wouldn't waste my time on women.

FairShake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You're talking about the difference between hobbies and passions. I don't think most people have passions they're neither lucky nor unlucky enough to have things to both stir and consume them. The kind of thing that will eat up all your time, money, and strength before you even notice.

You can't just "decide" on a passion. You can decide on a hobby or several. Try out multiple things and see which stick, which fall, and which dig themselves into your soul. Music, coding, woodworking, car racing, something to challenge you and allow you to create a bigger world than the one you're used to. THAT'S a passion.

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I usually have hobbies that I focus on primarily at certain points. One will take precedence over the rest for some time, and then another one will take precedence, usually when I'm waiting on something (like parts coming in the mail). I also have hobbies that are consistent but don't require lots of attention. They are almost like breaks from other hobbies that I have.

I have so much 5hit going on at once that I barely have time for a woman in my life. The way I see it: Life is short. Enjoy the hobbies you have. Once my house is paid off, I'll be hiring a maid to do housework so I can spend more time doing the things I love.

JohnChops

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No more keyboard jockeying . Action is the place.
not sure why i never got any notifications for this thread but thanks for all the replies guys!

I've decided to focus on 2 hobbies right now and just keep exploring different aspects of others. Though it seems like this one hobby consumes almost all my time.