Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

The Poverty Diet

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eat some bell peppers with it so you don't get scurvy. :)

Seriously, though, I'm not trying to start a fad diet. The key here is the general principles involved:

Sugar and processed carbs make you fat.
High amounts of naturally-occurring fiber fill you up, making you eat less.
Healthy fats don't make you fat; they are more likely to be burned than stored.

If you embrace those three idea, you will be very likely to come up with a diet than helps you be lean.

thatfeel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah I get you, I'm just really trying to "keep it simple stupid". My issue with counting calories and trying to diet has always come down to what to buy to get exactly the right macros and final # of calories at the end of the day, so much so that I just waste so much time at grocery stores looking at labels on EVERYTHING. So it's given me a lot of anxiety. And then having to prepare those meals, weigh it, etc,. F all that. I'll just weigh some beans and throw em in a pot.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you're eating the right foods, you don't need to count calories or read labels. You don't ever need to be hungry, either.

Making diet and nutrition seem complex has been a favorite tactic of the weight loss industry since its inception. If you believe it is complicated, then you are more likely to buy the crap they peddle.

thatfeel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you're eating the right foods, you don't need to count calories or read labels. You don't ever need to be hungry, either.

Making diet and nutrition seem complex has been a favorite tactic of the weight loss industry since its inception. If you believe it is complicated, then you are more likely to buy the crap they peddle.
If I just ate chicken every day with maybe like a quarter or half of a sweet potato, let's say the total intake of calories was like 1000, do you think I'd hit a metabolic wall? The reason I ask is If you've ever read any of Lyle McDonald's posts or read up on protein sparing modified fasts there are methods "in place" where you do the diet for a given amount of time and then there's always days where you refeed and then after the diet's over you go back to maintenance to allow everything to rebalance itself. So that's why I would be concerned.

The problem is I just don't like to eat that much. I know it's ironic given that I'm not in the aesthetic condition I want to be yet(I was just a dumb kid growing up who didn't know any better). When you start talking like normal caloric maintenance levels you're looking at I guess around 2000 to 2500 depending on activity levels for my stats. I'm 5'8, 157lb(lol just realized I already posted my stats a post back, I've been dieting already and lost some water weight I'm sure). Anyway back to my original point. Protein and carbs aren't as calorically dense as fat, so, you do have to eat a decent amount of food to reach decent intake levels. But fvck man, I hate the idea of eating all day and preparing like 3-5 meals or sitting down with a big d!ck plate of chicken trying to shove it all down my throat.

It would help me to know if you could provide an estimate on what you think your daily caloric intake is if you followed your own diet of just chilling on lentils or other very, VERY simple diets.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't like to eat either. That's why a lot of my meals are peanut butter out of a jar and nothing else. I picked a few big burpless cucumbers and some sweet peppers tonight, and have been eating those. The last couple nights I batter-fried some green beans in coconut and olive oil. That's a greasy, high-fat meal, probably high in calories. But it's healthy food and healthy fats.

I'm really bad at measuring things. I'm not sure I believe in the concept of counting calories, anyway. All calories are not the same in regard to what they do to your body.

If you're strict about what you eat, then quantity is not an issue, or at least it is an issue that will take care of itself as you eat less due to feeling full.

ChrisFloyd

Banned
Reaction score
I read somewhere that peanut butter contains mold, which causes cancer though.
Better use almond butter or tahini (cheaper option)

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Yewki

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
From what I read, the "excess protein converted to glucose" theory is a matter of debate. One of the posts on this page talks about the evidence for either side: http://carbsanity.blogspot.com/2012/05/excess-protein-turned-to-glucose.html

I don't think anyone knows for certain. The answer to every complex question is "it depends.".
Based on several scientific studies I think it's pretty safe to say there is no benefit in consuming more than 0.82g of protein per lb of body weight. Source: http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/. For a 190lb person, this upper limit would be 152g of protein. Another study that was cited is based on subjects working out 1.5 hours per day 6 days per week and the upper limit found was 0.75g/lb, which would be 142.5g for a 190lb person. And these are absolute upper limits mind you... the needed amount for most active people would probably be quite a bit less.

So the whole 1-2x body weight of protein myth thrown around by trainers and so called experts is actually... pretty bad advice. Aiming for 1x your body weight is overshooting what you could possibly benefit from by a lot. Considering that a 190lb person training at exceptionally high frequency would not benefit from more than 140-150g, trying to consume an additional 40-50g on top of that is very wasteful. Then you also have the so called experts preaching 2x your body weight encouraging people to consume 250-300g+ of protein. You know how much time and money someone can waste trying to sustain that? Not to mention all the unnecessary calories and stored fat.

Meanwhile the power bar/protein shake industry is very happy that the public is sold on the whole "more protein is better" idea.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My grandpa told me that whey used to be considered a waste product of dairy processing. They would feed it to pigs. Now it's $20 a jar at GNC.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sugar and processed carbs make you fat.
This makes me wonder about potatoes and corn. Are they really that bad? They are naturally grown foods, typically unprocessed for the most part. Is it the sheer number of calories/carbs that scare people off with these two? Sort of like fruit - fruit has a ton of sugar but I don't know anybody who got fat eating fruit. Grain is another. Grain in and of itself isn't so bad, it's what happens when the grain is processed to make other stuff.

Obviously I know there are some naturally occurring substances that aren't good to eat. But the Irish at potatoes forever and they weren't fat. I think people get too caught up in numbers.

Poonani Maker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I eat that Amy's lentils from Costco, pretty much 2-3 weekdays a week. If not that, then it's sushi, which is usually shrimp and rice or crab or tuna or avocados.

On the weekends I eat seriously bad, usually buffalo brats with jalapeno and cheese.

I'm getting OLD, startin to feel it. I think sleeping from 10 PM to 4:30 AM is also a good Healthy habit because that is your body's natural sleeptime. People who work the graveyard shift tend to die earlier, like of cancer and stuff. Sleep is so important.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My cabinet is close to bare. I was tempted to order pizza tonight. Then I found some sweet potatoes given to me from the family garden. I peeled them, cubed them, and boiled them for 20 minutes, I am going to stick blender them with olive oil to make a mashed sweet potato dinner. I'm spending about 25 cents of oil instead of the $20 for pizza.

esev8

Banned
Reaction score
Nice one I liek your diet and I can relate that I´m doing a similar one now what I mostly eat is vegetables that i cook with some legumes or rice and some tuna for protein i think it´s healhy and helps well with losing some weight.
My problem it´s mostly alcohol now beer, wine and vodka on a regular basis doesn´t help much and I also use it in a way as a muscle relaxer I get specially messed up from BJJ sparring!

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The US government's new dietary guidelines are out. Eggs and coffee are ok. Sugar is bad.

13-17% of a typical American's calories come from sugar. No wonder we're all fat.

http://www.latimes.com/science/scie...ry-guidelines-eggs-coffee-20160107-story.html

In the first slate of nutritional recommendations it has issued since 2011, the federal government on Thursday gave Americans the go-ahead to eat eggs and others foods rich in cholesterol, to drink as many as five cups of coffee daily and to enjoy a range of fats long avoided by many.

The new dietary guidelines, issued by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Department of Health and Human Services, are the first ever to recommend a limit -- 10% of daily calories -- to the amount of added sugars Americans should consume.

That recommendation poses the guidelines' toughest challenge for Americans, said Tom Brenna, professor of chemistry and human nutrition at Cornell University. Currently, some 13% of Americans' daily calories comes from added sugar, a proportion that rises to 15 to 17% for children and teens.

Yewki

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
13-17% of a typical American's calories come from sugar. No wonder we're all fat.
Yeah but still no excuse to be fat. If 50% of my calories came from sugar I would still be <10% body fat. I gaurantee you. Really bothers me when anyone tries to to justify being overweight with external factors... no, adapt and take responsibility.

U

user43770

Yeah but still no excuse to be fat. If 50% of my calories came from sugar I would still be <10% body fat. I gaurantee you. Really bothers me when anyone tries to to justify being overweight with external factors... no, adapt and take responsibility.
Yep.

When it comes to fat loss, what you eat is hardly a concern - calorie intake is what should be focused on.

The issue with high-sugar foods is that they're also high in calories and you don't feel satisfied for long after eating them. Try to gain weight when the bulk of your diet is meat and vegetables...it's not easy.

hanni

Banned
Reaction score
within reason, better to eat protein, as in fish and egg whites, than carbs or fat, since the protein is much less "clogging' of your arteries than fat, half as many calories as fat, and little or no sugar, which carbs are full of. So filling up on protein, if you are hungry, makes a lot more sense than "snacking' on the usual crud.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
http://www.webmd.com/diet/20160111/sugary-drinks-tied-to-increase-in-deep-belly-fat

Jan. 11, 2016 (HealthDay News) -- People who drink sugary beverages every day tend to accumulate more deep belly fat over time, new research suggests.

The study, of over 1,000 adults, found that those who downed at least one sugar-sweetened drink a day had a bigger increase in deep abdominal fat over the next six years.

Researchers said the results are concerning because that type of fat -- known as visceral fat -- surrounds a number of vital organs and is particularly unhealthy.

"Visceral fat is the kind that's closely associated with the risks of type 2 diabetes and heart disease," said Alice Lichtenstein, a spokesperson for the American Heart Association (AHA), who was not involved in the study.

Yewki

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The study, of over 1,000 adults, found that those who downed at least one sugar-sweetened drink a day had a bigger increase in deep abdominal fat over the next six years.
So... doing something bad is less good? Interesting

Armourhead

Don Juan
Reaction score
http://www.webmd.com/diet/20160111/sugary-drinks-tied-to-increase-in-deep-belly-fat
Jan. 11, 2016 (HealthDay News) -- People who drink sugary beverages every day tend to accumulate more deep belly fat over time, new research suggests.
Researchers said the results are concerning because that type of fat -- known as visceral fat -- surrounds a number of vital organs and is particularly unhealthy.
"Visceral fat is the kind that's closely associated with the risks of type 2 diabetes and heart disease," said Alice Lichtenstein, a spokesperson for the American Heart Association (AHA), who was not involved in the study.
The only thing that study mentions is that people who tend to eat sugary foods accumulate more abdominal fat.

The kind of person who drinks sugary beverages every day is probably the kind of person who also eats a lot of pizza and other junk food.
Now if the study was controlled for calorie intake/exercise etc then we could begin to state that sugar was causative to abdominal fat accumulation.

That study didn't say that if you ate sugar you'd have a fatter stomach

I guarantee you if you ate 4000 calories of "clean" foods every day and were inactive at 150 lbs you would definitely gain a tonne of abdominal fat as well.