Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

The Poverty Diet

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I’m 39. This is me two days ago: http://i.imgur.com/l3xUzpo.jpg

I don’t work out. I don’t go to a gym. My last mma fight was six years ago. I gained about sixty pounds after I quit training, and have lost about 50 of it. I’m not on any supplements, steroids, hgh, or testosterone. And I drink beer. I work on a farm, so I am more active than most people.

My diet is primarily fat-based. A lot of the ideas come from the keto diet: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet Most of my protein comes from anything but meat, because it’s expensive.

Here’s a dirty secret about your protein intake that no one wants to hear - excess protein is converted by the body into glucose. That power bar might as well be a pepsi, if it is more protein than your body can use. And I think most guys vastly overestimate the amount of protein they need in their diet.

I’d max out food stamps if I applied, but I prefer living simply instead. Getting by on minimal money should make most American’s diets much healthier. Poor people used to be skinny before they were all on welfare.

Look at food in terms of the calories provided compared to the cost. Processed and simple carbs will leave you hungry soon afterward, so you’ll quickly learn to avoid those. Most of my diet is peanut butter, eggs, and dried beans or lentils. In the summer, I have vegetables from my garden. That’s another thing poor people used to do - grow a garden.

You’re going to need to learn how to cook. Get a yard sale crock pot. A pressure cooker is another useful item if you can find one used. Dried beans need to be soaked overnight in the fridge; lentils cook faster and don’t need soaking. I’m not against meat in principal, but buy the cheapest cuts and boil them down slowly to flavor a big pot of beans. Gristle will fall apart when cooked for several hours.

If you have to eat out, once again, think poor. Something off the value menu at McDonald’s isn’t exactly healthy, but if you make a meal out of one 400-500 calorie item, that’s still a diet a person can lose weight on. Peanuts are usually the best I can do from a convenience store, as far as picking out something healthy from a bunch of junk food.

Healthy oils and high fiber meals like beans are free. Eat all you want. I mix coconut oil in my coffee, and fry eggs in it. I mix olive oil into my lentils and beans, as well as a lot of garlic. If you have money, get the peanut butter that is all-natural. It should have zero carbs. The cheap stuff has sugar mixed in. I still buy it though, because it’s cheap. If you can afford them, cashews, sunflower seeds, nuts, and nut butters other than peanut are all free foods. Fat and fiber both fill you up, and keep you from being hungry for longer. A typical breakfast for me is coffee with coconut oil and peanut butter straight out of the jar.

Vegetables are free. But stay away from potatoes and corn, too many carbs. Dip veggies in any salad dressing that doesn’t have sugar in it to eat them raw. Or stir fry them. Eggs are another free food. Get farm eggs if you can; they are better for you. If you have eggs and any vegetable, fry them together and that is a meal. Grow a garden if you can, even if it is on a balcony. If you have a large garden, learn to home can. Any food you grow yourself should always taste better than what you can buy. If none of that is an option, find your local farmer’s market and buy what is in season. It’s also a good place to take a girl for a free date.

Carbs are not exactly the devil, but you have to match them to your activity level. If you sit on your butt at a desk job all day, you don’t need carbs. They’re just going to make you fat. Unless you’re doing some serious weight lifting or are a competitive athlete, you don’t need meat either. Excess protein will make you just as fat as sugar, which by the way, pretty much is the devil. People who want to lose body fat have no business eating processed sugar of any kind. Bread, crackers, and pasta are bad, too. I stopped buying bread over a year ago.

Water and fluid intake is important. Bottled water is one of the few diet luxuries I buy, to keep from getting dehydrated. If you can get into the habit of drinking iced green tea during the day, it’s very healthy and dissipates hunger. Many people mistake hunger for thirst.

How do I get abs? is one of the most common questions I see in H&F. My answer to that question is that you have to give up on all your previous conceptions about diet. If you work a desk job, then go to a gym, do some bench presses, run on a treadmill and leave...good for you, that’s better than 90% of all the lazy slobs out there...but you’re not going to live that lifestyle, eat steak and potatoes at every meal, and get a 6-pack. It’s not going to happen.

In countries that don’t have welfare, most poor people are skinny. 6-packs are normal. Those people have to work hard, often in physical labor, and when they get enough money to buy food, they have to buy the cheapest foods that will sustain them. If you want abs, that is the lifestyle you need to emulate - high activity and a very simple diet.

Last edited:

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is fine and dandy for certain people who are better at controlling their eating habits. It is very hard for me to do. I'm not saying that discipline can't be learned, I'm simply saying that discipline with food is much harder for me than say, quitting smoking. I've had success with filling up on healthy foods and shakes, and avoiding carbs.

Seems that avoiding bad carbs is the common theme in any diet.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
All of us have our own strengths and weaknesses. I am good at having discipline at the grocery store, in terms of what I buy, and then having the discipline at home to have a bomb shelter mentality and live off just what I have on hand.

Alcohol is my weakness; it always has been. I blame it on my Irish genes. I was a vegetarian for a long time, because I figured out that I could drink all the beer I wanted and not get fat, as long as I didn't eat meat. I only stopped being vegetarian when I stared training mma, getting my ass kicked every night, and thinking I needed all the help I could get. Nowadays my take on vegetarianism is in line with the poverty diet theme - I won't buy it to take home, because it's expensive, but I will eat it if it is free or the only cheap option. I had a bacon double cheeseburger from Burger King tonight. But other than that I only had some peanut butter, and that will be all I eat today. So that leaves room for a few bottles of Guinness...

Redzky

Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, I'm not poor, I keep in pretty good shape and the truth is that my hunger to make more money helps motivate me to eat the healthiest, while working out as well. I need whatever energy I can find, because I work nonstop. If I could get away with it I wouldn't sleep.

Rubirosa

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Intersting topic BB. Your posts are always a good read...
There's an unanswered question I asked you on another thread:
When you were at your fighting weight and ripped, you stated that your build was an absolute pu$$y magnet.
Was this when you were shirtless? I ask because from what you've revealed about yourself on SS, your height and fighting weight would look VERY lean in clothes, and most girls like the slightly jacked look.....

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks. The best that science has been able to do in attempting to quantify attraction - for both genders - is #1 a symmetrical face, because attractive people tend to be symmetrical, and #2 chest to waist ratio. It's not specific measurements; it's the ratio. Measuring one or the other is only half the picture. A guy with a skinny waist and decent arms and chest will look jacked, but with a gut and the same upper body, he won't at all. I'm six-two and fought at 155, but I walked at about ten pounds more than that, and cut weight like everyone else does. I was back in the 160s the next day for the fight, as I'm sure was my opponent. If you don't cut, you end up fighting a guy one weight class up. Six-two and 155 sounds like a twig, but I looked like this: http://i.imgur.com/dZ3ChHe.jpg And I drank about a six-pack a night back then, more than I do now. All the training I was doing made me sore, and alcohol is a great muscle relaxant.

I bought a giant jar of peanut butter last week, 10,000 calories or so, and it is between 2/3 and 3/4 gone. So I just ate 7,000 calories worth of peanut butter this week, lol. That sounds like the diet of someone massively obese, but I know I didn't get any fatter this week. I did a lot of dirt shoveling and can feel the arm workout.

Yesterday was typical for me. I had probably 800 calories of peanut butter, half a pound of dried garbanzo beans, and five Dos Equis. I don't drink every day, and I wouldn't at all if low body fat was my number one priority. But I can if I want to, and still have abs, by cutting almost all other carbs, eating a lot of healthy fat and fiber, and staying active.

I am finding garbanzo beans to be a great food, maybe even better than lentils. From what I read, the garbanzo bean fiber is not digestible until it hits the large intestine, which makes it fill you up for a long time.

Last edited:

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I weighed 175 tonight. I'm within ten pounds of the weight I walked at when I was fighting.

I gave up sugar in my morning coffee. Now I drink it black over ice. It's getting harder and harder to eat bread as well. My gf made Italian beef tonight. I had mine in a bowl.

I still drink beer, though. That's what really strikes me about this diet. I'm never really hungry, I drink a fair amount of beer, and I still lose weight. And the weight I'm losing is fat. I look like a guy who goes to the gym a lot, even though I haven't done that in years.

Another side effect of this diet is that you learn how to cook. I had some barley this week. It makes a great soup base. I would never have learned that if not for trying to feed myself for 2-3 days on a $2 bag of grain.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lately it's been more like "The Peanut Butter Diet." I've been going a day or two at a time eating only a few spoonfuls of peanut butter when I get hungry. I drink iced black coffee in the morning and water all day, plus I still drink beer a few night a week.

I'm still pulling pants out of storage that I have been too fat to wear for years. I've gone from a 36 to a 32 over the past year and a half or so.

Rubirosa

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Is your money situation really that tight and it forces you to eat like this, or is what you're doing some sort of minimalist living/self discipline lifestyle ?

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd call it minimalist. I still buy bottled water and high quality coffee, which are luxuries, money-wise, even though they don't have calories.

People think it costs money to lose weight, which I think is ridiculous. How does buying less food cost more money?

100 Million Dieters, $20 Billion: The Weight-Loss Industry by the Numbers

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/100-million-dieters-20-billion-weight-loss-industry/story?id=16297197

According to data by Marketdata Enterprises, a market research firm that specializes in tracking niche industries, Americans spend north of $60 billion annually to try to lose pounds, on everything from paying for gym memberships and joining weight-loss programs to drinking diet soda.

http://money.usnews.com/money/personal-finance/articles/2013/01/02/the-heavy-price-of-losing-weight

Tenacity

Banned
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
I'd call it minimalist. I still buy bottled water and high quality coffee, which are luxuries, money-wise, even though they don't have calories.

People think it costs money to lose weight, which I think is ridiculous. How does buying less food cost more money?

100 Million Dieters, $20 Billion: The Weight-Loss Industry by the Numbers

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/100-million-dieters-20-billion-weight-loss-industry/story?id=16297197

According to data by Marketdata Enterprises, a market research firm that specializes in tracking niche industries, Americans spend north of $60 billion annually to try to lose pounds, on everything from paying for gym memberships and joining weight-loss programs to drinking diet soda.

http://money.usnews.com/money/personal-finance/articles/2013/01/02/the-heavy-price-of-losing-weight
These articles are spot on. With the massive amount of information in the Health and Fitness Industry on slimming down, people think it's about some magic PILL or magic AB BELT or magic DIET or magic WORKOUT program. So they spend money trying this, trying that, trying this and trying that, and never truly losing any weight or getting anymore consistently (long term) fitness wise.

My buddy Yannick from this Forum was a classic example of this. Every day he had a new pill he was taking and a new diet he was trying out. Instead of just structuring an eating plan based on the healthy food sources list, adding in IT fasting, and exercising 5 times a week with Cardio AND weight lifting.

That's it, just stay consistent with that forever and the pounds will drop, the muscle will build and you will maintain your look. No need for fat burners, magic pills, "scientific" studies that you don't understand any damn way, magic ab belts, or any of the other NON-SENSE going on out there.

marmel75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Again, I will say it until I'm blue in the face...cardio is not necessary and is a poor way of dropping fat. 5 minutes of HIIT 30 second on/30 second off sprints after workouts is all you need to burn fat like a furnace.

IASGame

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm not sure this kind of strategy works out if you are coming up from underweight though.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree. I've always said I am no authority on weightlifting, bodybuilding, or bulking up.

I weighed 171 last night. I walked at about 165 when I fought at 155, so I'm just about back to my mma weight. The difference between the way I look now versus when I was in the 220's is tremendous. I don't have a body that carries extra fat very well.

It's late summer, and I have been eating out of the garden a lot. I've had fried zucchini and other vegetables as a meal frequently. People think fried food makes you fat...it does if it's done the way most fried food is prepared. But just a handful of vegetables deep-fried in coconut oil makes a very filling meal. I will also sometimes eat a bell pepper fresh, dipped in salad dressing, as a meal. Fiber fills you up.

Black coffee and sometimes unsweetened green tea are also something I consume every day. I have a little coconut oil in hot coffee, but usually I drink iced coffee when the weather is hot. I'm probably getting some calorie-burning stimulant benefit from the caffeine. Coffee is full of antioxidants. I think of it as a healthy drug.

I buy so much peanut butter in giant jars that sometimes the cashier will ask me if I am shopping for a church or non-profit organization. "No, I just really like peanut butter."

When I make ice chips in a food processor, then mix vanilla protein shake and peanut butter with the ice using a stick blender, the end product comes out tasting like peanut butter ice cream.

I'll be 40 in March. From looking at pics of people my age on facebook, we all seem to gravitate toward one extreme or the other in regard to fitness. A small minority are fitness nuts...personal trainers, aerobics instructors, P90x people....but the rest of us are big fat whales. There's not much in-between.

One thing I noticed about my 20-year high school reunion, the richest guy there, an investment banker, is also the fattest. He weighed 180 in high school; now he looks double that. I admire his financial success, but he's not going to be around to enjoy his money; dude is a heart attack waiting to happen. That goes in accordance with my views on diet. Being a rich workaholic will make you fat, and being fat will kill you.

thatfeel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
OP, do you have any sources or references citing excess protein is converted into glucose?

These four seem to suggest that even if it does, the amount is vastly negligible.

http://caloriesproper.com/dietary-protein-does-not-negatively-impact-blood-glucose-control/

http://www.ketotic.org/2012/08/if-you-eat-excess-protein-does-it-turn.html

http://journal.diabetes.org/diabetesspectrum/00v13n3/pg132.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9416027

HOWEVER

I do agree with you that daily protein intake is grossly overemphasized. RDI values are around 60-80g a day IIRC, for individuals on 2000/cal a day diets. The "free market" has a larger hand than ever before and everyone wants to sell us something. The entire trend is sociopathic; assimilate the consumers who will virtually sell your product for you. We see this in the supplement industry hardcore with things like protein powders and what not.

As an aside, I've gone on one of Lyle McDonald's diets, namely the rapid fat loss diet. On this diet you calculate your daily protein intake to maintain mass while dropping fat, and I think my intake was like 150g/protein a day, with less than 5g of carbs and fat combined, the weight pretty much melted off at like 700/800 calories a day.

Also, isn't coconut oil one of the worst oils you can have?

Last edited:

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
From what I read, the "excess protein converted to glucose" theory is a matter of debate. One of the posts on this page talks about the evidence for either side: http://carbsanity.blogspot.com/2012/05/excess-protein-turned-to-glucose.html

I don't think anyone knows for certain. The answer to every complex question is "it depends." The author who originally proposed that idea is a diabetic, and that may have influenced his conclusions. Other factors like amount of protein and overall content of one's diet may influence the outcome as well.

As for coconut oil, there was a scare in the late 1980's about coconut and palm oil being in coffee creamer due to the saturated fat in it. 60 Minutes did a scathing expose. So the manufacturers rushed to replace it...with trans fats, which we now know as one of the unhealthiest substances ever created.

There has been a lot of promising research about coconut oil, enough to make it a health fad. More conservative academic types will point out that the research has largely been on animals and cells under a microscope. But on the other hand, Pacific Islander cultures who get most of their fat from coconuts have dramatically lower rates of heart disease than Americans.

I like coconut oil as a frying oil. It has a much higher smoke point. Recent studies about olive oil, especially extra virgin olive oil, have shown that it turns into a carcinogen when it burns. I still consume a lot of olive oil, but I don't use it to fry anything.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fall is approaching right now. Sweet potatoes and winter squash are in season. Although I am mostly low-carb, I have been eating microwaved sweet potatoes. I think the massive amount of fiber in them, as well as beta carotene, Vitamin A, and other healthy stuff more than balanced out the carbs.

Most people don't understand how a summer garden can feed a person year-round. Crops like sweet potatoes, winter squash, and pumpkins have a very long shelf life, and will last all winter in storage. A local farmer near me sells bushels (55 pounds) of sweet potatoes for $20.

thatfeel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fall is approaching right now. Sweet potatoes and winter squash are in season. Although I am mostly low-carb, I have been eating microwaved sweet potatoes. I think the massive amount of fiber in them, as well as beta carotene, Vitamin A, and other healthy stuff more than balanced out the carbs.

Most people don't understand how a summer garden can feed a person year-round. Crops like sweet potatoes, winter squash, and pumpkins have a very long shelf life, and will last all winter in storage. A local farmer near me sells bushels (55 pounds) of sweet potatoes for $20.
Bible_Belt, your recommendation for just eating beans/lentils from a crock pot, combined with your stance regarding carbs for weight loss, is a bit disillusioning to me. May I ask, if you have some handy, what the nutritional facts are for the lentils you typically eat? Because I was at the store yesterday, pondering your idea of just losing weight on a poverty diet, but, when I was checking out some of the beans(didn't see lentils), the macros on 1 serving are pretty inversed, e.g. 7g protein, 22g carbs. Just to get 35g of protein you'd need to ingest ~120g of carbs...

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lentils are 20g carbs and 10g of protein per serving. Dried black beans are 22g carbs and 8g of protein. I usually add olive oil to them for fat.

All carbs are not created equal. The massive amount of fiber in lentils and beans slows the body's absorption. By contrast, refined carbs and sugars get absorbed immediately, creating a spike in the body's insulin level and excess glucose that is immediately stored as fat when it isn't burned off right away.

A pound of lentils is about a thousand calories. I'd add 500 or so calories of olive oil to it, about 4 tbsp, to get a pot of food that is 1500 calories, 260g carbs, 130g protein, 55g of fat. I put a few peppers in it if I have them. That will feed me for a day and a half to two days without going hungry at all. The fiber is what makes it work.

thatfeel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lentils are 20g carbs and 10g of protein per serving. Dried black beans are 22g carbs and 8g of protein. I usually add olive oil to them for fat.

All carbs are not created equal. The massive amount of fiber in lentils and beans slows the body's absorption. By contrast, refined carbs and sugars get absorbed immediately, creating a spike in the body's insulin level and excess glucose that is immediately stored as fat when it isn't burned off right away.

A pound of lentils is about a thousand calories. I'd add 500 or so calories of olive oil to it, about 4 tbsp, to get a pot of food that is 1500 calories, 260g carbs, 130g protein, 55g of fat. I put a few peppers in it if I have them. That will feed me for a day and a half to two days without going hungry at all. The fiber is what makes it work.
Is a bean/lentil only diet something you can recommend for a guy looking to get really lean even with all the carbs? I'm 5'8, 160lb, have a little bit of a gut/overhang.