Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Walked out of my job and quit

SeymourCake

Banned
Reaction score
I don't know where to start. I worked as a cashier for an electronics shop since December 2014. A week after I was hired, my department manager switched store locations and they brought in a supervisor from another store to replace him. The assistant store manager had to switch as well because apparently she was in a relationship with our original assistant store manager and it's against store policy to have couples work in the same store.

But that's besides the point. Our (new) department manager is always distanced from us. She's always in her office doing other things. When other associates refuse to show up to work and come late, they would never get penalized for it. We do more than just be cashiers. We have other responsibilities to do such as taking out the trash, cleaning the bathroom, bringing the shopping carts in from the parking lot (in Houston weather summer heat/humidity), vanna, etc. So what happens when other associates don't show up? The supervisors usually assign me to do their duties. There's people who show up whenever they want to with total disregard to their schedule. I've always came to work 15 minutes early with 100% coverage.

I approached my department manager last week. I asked, "when are you free?". She said "now". "I want to talk about switching departments". The expression on her face changed and you can tell she was upset that I asked because there was some frustration exuded as I asked. She said, "You'll have to wait because there's other people in our department willing to go as well". I wanted to be a salesman, but she had me on hold...

I don't have the patience for this sh*t. It's her job is constantly hire people when we're running out of employees.

At night when we close, they would send me outside to sweep the entire parking lot because customers would constantly drop their trash and they never get in trouble by the law for littering. I would do this three times a week.

We hardly get commission (less than 1%). We get 89 cents for every $500 transaction. Our department is mostly females, so they want process a large sale such as appliances or large screen T.Vs, they would send me to load the large items into the customer's vehicles while they act like little innocent princesses and continued on checking other customers.

The budget at our work has been cut so our associates would also time to time go to the "Returns" department and deal with angry customers.

But today, I had a customer who claimed he saw a keyboard + mouse for a different price. He showed me when he got the item and I told him, "the price next to the item is the correct one. The merchandisers placed it there because there wasn't room on the shelf". So this buffoon starts cursing. I ask him, "do you still want the water?". He said no, "we'll shop at somewhere where they honor the price". So as I'm walking back to my register, he speaks to the manager in charge and the manager tells me to write a quote to honor the customer. I was going to walk by back to the computer department but I said "fvck it" and walked back to the break room, opened my locker, got my lunch out of the refrigerator, clocked out, threw my name tag on the floor and left.

Whenever my mother goes shopping and she finds an item that was misplaced, they never honor it. Why should we?

Anyways, it feels good that I left. I felt like I was one of the few associates that was focused and did my best while everyone else was ****ing around. Now it's time to look for another job...

The_flying_dutchman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
So now you've learned an important lesson when you work for others in today's world:

hardwork is rewarded with more work but not more pay. If you go above and beyond, they dont appreciate it, they'll just tgink they can take advatage of you.

Work hard only if you're working for yourself, when you work for a company just do the minimum until they agree to pay you more.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
when i was 17 years old i worked at the waffle house in the summer. I sucked lol. That **** is hard lolol. Anyway i've been working there for about 2 months and i''m finally figuring all the calls out and stuff. But the one thing I never could do is make an omelet. the little machine they use is retarded.

I worked the morning shift with a more experienced guy and i handled all the bread and hashbrowns and stuff. One day he called in and i ahd the girll to myself. I was doing okay, all proud of myself, then the call comes, someone wants an omelet lol. ****. So I try to make it and it's the most retarded thing i've ever seen. I have like 5 other orders i'm like **** it this will due.

the waitress comes back and me and curses me out in front of every one so i threw the olment at her lol, took off my apron and walked out the door.

The_flying_dutchman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
When a woman performs slightly above average, she's singled out for a promotion...

When a man goes above and beyond, he's given more work but no pay increase...

This is the sad reality of the world we live in. It's important to be aware of this and learn how to play the game.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You guys are describing the sociopathic boss/business model. They aren't ALL like this, but the number is growing. Many women are this way.

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It really all comes down to power plays, corporate politics, not stepping on anyone's toes all while courting attention and getting people to talk about you in a positive and vague manner.

The 48 laws of power is great for learning how to use corporate politics to your advantage or atleast understand why things are happening around you and for what benefit.

Tenacity

Banned
Reaction score
The_flying_dutchman said:
So now you've learned an important lesson when you work for others in today's world:

hardwork is rewarded with more work but not more pay. If you go above and beyond, they dont appreciate it, they'll just tgink they can take advatage of you.

Work hard only if you're working for yourself, when you work for a company just do the minimum until they agree to pay you more.
^^^ THIS RIGHT HERE. :yes:

Amilz

Don Juan
Reaction score
The_flying_dutchman said:

Very true.

Dryden

Don Juan
Reaction score
So in this life we're constantly having to play games?...

You just let the thing go to hell and then you point at the manager and you say "I did that". And you just sit down and wait until he/she (better if it is a she I guess (she won't physically hit you :p)) has calmed down or fumed everything or gotten rid of months old frustration.

Then you start your negotiations.

"You know, I might do better work if it was not me as the only person doing any of that".

You seriously gotta let people feel what mess they are in or what mess they are creating. Until they feel, they won't know or care.

Make sure the people responsible get to feel the effects of their own stupidity.

Don't keep it from them. And by all means, surely don't wait until it has gone so far that you can only quit as your only good choice?

If you were gonna quit anyway at the end, you might as well create a bit of havoc in between :D.

Rubirosa

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good job OP (no pun intended ha ha)

The only regret I feel about periods in my life are the times when I didn't stand up for myself more.
Unfortunatley, hard sincere work in service jobs like yours frequently goes unrewarded and unrecognized
Sometimes BS like you went through is needed to make guys realize that they need to be on a solid career track ASAP
(Not saying that you aren't already........Don't know)

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

I have to say this is an absolute loser's mentality. One will never overcome his circumstances by adopting this approach. One will never be equipped to eventually work for himself with this mentality.

No one is going to "agree to pay you more" when you are doing the bare minimum. Quite the contrary... your superiors will observe your laziness and make life a lot harder for you. They will revile you. Not to mention the fact that you are killing your own ambition.

We need to learn to leverage our circumstances. A man who wants to be a financial winner will do 30 to 50% MORE work than he is paid to do. In order to merit pay increases and promotions, you need to make it abundantly clear that you are a hustler and would benefit the company in a higher position. It's up to you to make sure this perception exists. You want to make yourself seem as indispensable as possible to the higher-ups... to appear like that one in a million whom they don't want to lose. Think beyond your immediate supervisor. You need to create impressions in the minds of those who are higher up than he or she is.

In my company I'll immediately fire anyone who does the bare minimum. They are incredibly easy to spot.... They stick out like a sore thumb.

Show the world you are a hard worker and you will be simultaneously showing yourself the same. You are the one who needs to see yourself hustle, ultimately. Minimalists are losers. Those who demonstrate a willingness to work and use their brains eventually get themselves into a position where they can break free from corporate or retail slavery and work for themselves.

Demonstrate value, power and a strong work ethic and you will go far. Demonstrate resentment and a minimalist attitude and you will make it absolutely impossible for you to succeed.

I'll say it again, for those with an ear - Learn to leverage your circumstances. Every circumstance can be leveraged to your advantage.

sodbuster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I would have looked for a new one first..... then given 2 week notice. She'd have a CHANCE to think about it and offer you a raise..... now you are back at square one......