Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Big Ten basketball!

Who will end up 1st in the Big Ten?

• Illinois

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Indiana

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Iowa

• Michigan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Michigan State

• Ohio State

• Wisconsin

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Anyone else here follow Big Ten hoops?

Right now there are 7 teams in the Sagarin computer rankings (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin.htm)* top 20 and the Bow Down To Entropy(http://mintaka.sdsu.edu/~dokter/sw/hr06) top 25*, and a bunch of 'em are tied with 5-2 conference records.

Strangely enough, even though they're in 7th place at 4-3 in conference play, I think Michigan State is in the best position to win the conference title, being the only team to win an away game against one of the other of the top 7. The bottom 4 teams are vastly inferior to the top 7, and can only factor in as spoilers.

There's a good chance there will be 7 top 5 seeds in the big dance, and not a single Big Ten team in the NIT.

* I pay attention to the Sagarin and Bow Down To Entropy rankings, because they don't have the bias of the AP or coaches' rankings (which tend to have inertia), and -- unlike some other computer-based methods -- they do take margin of victory into account.

Unregistered

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I watch the Illini. They play great defense but their offense basically goes as Dee Brown goes.

MSU lost today.

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The info I got says MSU won, albeit narrowly (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/games/2006-01-28-michstate-pennstate_x.htm).

Big man Paul Davis was out.

Injuries will play BIG in the mix.

I'm actually still thinking about my pick. A week or 2 ago, I have thought Indiana or Illinois. But then MSU took out Ohio State away, and now I really like the way the Wolverines are developing. They've just beat 2 top 25 teams with one of their best players (Lester Abram) riding the bench. Their bench is kicking ass.

ShizamDaMan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thad Matta will pull it out. I think the Buckeyes have a shot at beating a tough Iowa team at home tonight.

seanchai

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My God, the Pac-10 sucks in those rankings. And overall. But still.

I voted Indiana because the last time I read anything about college basketball (other than Washington) was three weeks ago.

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I dunno if I can give an honest take, being so biased for Michigan, but they damn near took out the Illini on the road, and they're a better team now than they were then.

Yeah, if OSU can take out Iowa on the road, that would cancel the loss to MSU. OSU definitely needs a big road win. I should get a ticket to Mich/OSU. That should be one helluva war!

Regarding the Pac 10, it does appear a bit down this year. At least not very deep. But UCLA did beat Michigan at Michigan. Michigan is mainly an inside team, and anybody who can get good looks from downtown can kill 'em with 3s, which -- along with studying up on how Michigan inbounded the ball (which they've since adjusted a bit) -- is how UCLA took 'em out.

frivolousz21

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I can say the same about the ILLINI!

:) to much reliance on DEE on that team

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
One thing's for certain, and that's MSU being the most inconsistent team in the conference. Got easily taken out by Illinois, slaughtered by Wisconsin by about 20 points, then beat OSU in their own building and drubbed Iowa by 30!

Which Spartans team will show up in their next big game?

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's shaped up to be one hell of a race!

Nobody at all voted for Iowa or Wisconsin, who are currently tied for the lead with Ohio State and Illinois, with Michigan State just 1 game back, having home games against Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Illinois remaining (MSU has not lost at home this year). MSU has already split with Iowa, who has to play Illinois away. But MSU also has to get by Indiana away, barring other upsets.

My fave Michigan lost another starter late in the Ohio State game, after which they imploded (they were ahead in the game when he went down, after which they were creamed). They may be a real good "sleeper" pick in the big dance if they get both their injured starters back by then. Especially getting something like a #11 or # 12 seed, which appears likely at this point.

Right now I'd say advantage Iowa, despite their having dropped one to Minnesota today. If MSU takes out Indiana at Indiana, we could very well see a tie, maybe even a 3 or 4 way tie.