Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Tips on keeping a straight face

IncognitoVI

Reaction score
Tips on keeping a straight face, while making her laugh

Hey guys.

I've seen some great posts here, but I couldnt find the answer to my question using the search function.

Do you think you're good enough that you could share great tips on how to keep a straight face while making everyone else laugh?

Last edited:

Ace of Flames

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Everywhere you want to be.... I'm like a Visa card
do u make yourself laugh that much? lol jk.

whats wrong with laughing? it shows you're having a good time, and that is attractive. if you just sit there with a blank expression on your mug, people will assume you have no sense of humor. especially the girls. and thats not funny at all.

IncognitoVI

Reaction score
There is a deeper thing involed in "humour psychology". Laughing is a way for people to bond emotionally. If I say something ****y and Funny, for example, and she laughs, while I am NOT laughing, its much more attractive than say... I'm laughing all the time while she is trying to ignore my "jokes".

Ace of Flames

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Everywhere you want to be.... I'm like a Visa card
if u really cant stop yourself from laughing at yourself, i cant help u.

i dont get your post either. u say laughter is a way to bond, and then u contradict yourself and say its more attractive NOT to laugh?

the point of a date is to enjoy your time together. i find it fun to laugh with a girl im with. im not her personal stand-up comedian, ready to spit out a joke at any time so she can laugh, and then sit there waiting for the next time she's in need of my services.

sorry if im missing your point, but thats what i think.

superman2k6

Don Juan
Reaction score
lol as dumb as this thread sounds, i actually have the same problem. I just smile for no f'n reason and it's bad when people are talking about real serious stuff

sometimes i'm on a bus where the seat faces backwards, and i just start smiling at nothing, people must think i'm fkn crazy lol

IncognitoVI

Reaction score
Originally posted by Ace of Flames
if u really cant stop yourself from laughing at yourself, i cant help u.

i dont get your post either. u say laughter is a way to bond, and then u contradict yourself and say its more attractive NOT to laugh?

the point of a date is to enjoy your time together. i find it fun to laugh with a girl im with. im not her personal stand-up comedian, ready to spit out a joke at any time so she can laugh, and then sit there waiting for the next time she's in need of my services.

sorry if im missing your point, but thats what i think.

Apparently, you guys are not familiar with David DeAngelo's ****y Comedy program. Get it and you'll see what I mean.

No, I dont laugh at myself, you didnt get the point.

Yes, laughter is good for bonding. When you're with your friends, there is no harm in laughing yourself. Since it will relieve the tension that created the laughter.

When you're with a girl though, and you say something that makes her laugh, while you're not laughing yourself, the tension doesnt get relieved, hence the attraction is still there (in this case the tension is creating the attraction). She is laughing to get your approval, while you're not laughing to give it.
Like I said, this is deeper psychology and it is even counterintuitive, and I'm not here to explain it all, but it works like very well - when you do manage to pull it off!

Reaction score
why dont you just smile...which is what i do...it shows your enjoining urself, gives approval...and keeps ur cool.

IncognitoVI

Reaction score
If you give her approval, the tension (attraction) is relieved. But, partly you're right: A sly smile while make her wonder if you're serious or not.

Though, what I'm asking for are ways to keep a straight face, which is quite difficult because laughter is subconscious. Surely there must be a better way than to bite your own tongue, lol!

Adone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I get what you are trying to say, Incognito. When you say something to a girl and she can't really tell if you're serious or not, it comes off as pretty attractive. Anyway, don't overdo it, because it quickly becomes annoying and irritating.

I don't really know any way to keep your face straight, it comes natural to me.

ego

Don Juan
Reaction score
I know what you mean, and I keep my face straight to create mystery and make people wonder weather im joking or not.

If you're using sarcasm , which I guess you are, try to adjust your thoughts and really believe what you say. Since it's subconsious, try to manipulate your thoughts and really make yourself believe what you're saying- and i'll come off as natural.

Keep a mysterious smile and make people guess for a few seconds. Then laugh.

Okay, I know it's hard, but I hope you get the idea.

IncognitoVI

Reaction score
I certainly get the idea, and thanks for your input! It makes sense that since the laughter is subconscious, you'll have to operate on a subconscious level.

:)

Dustin

Don Juan
Reaction score
If you want to keep a straight face you gotta try to practise. I know I'm only 15 but I pull alot of pranks on teachers and go on a decent amountof dates with girls. Try when you watching funny movies and you want to laught try holding it back, You wil lget a funny feeling in your mouth but if you can hold it back it will come natural. I know if my teacher get electricuted and I laugh shes would get me in alot of crap. Ive had to contain myself from that before. Try coonsetrating on other stuff. But I personaly don'tt understand why you would want to lear not to laugh.

wunnaBsmooth

Don Juan
Reaction score
Dustin,
It's a good thing you don't have to impress the ladies with your writing.....lol
You might want to pay at least a little bit of attention to your english teacher anyway... .lol

Originally posted by Dustin
If you want to keep a straight face you gotta try to practise. I know I'm only 15 but I pull alot of pranks on teachers and go on a decent amountof dates with girls. Try when you watching funny movies and you want to laught try holding it back, You wil lget a funny feeling in your mouth but if you can hold it back it will come natural. I know if my teacher get electricuted and I laugh shes would get me in alot of crap. Ive had to contain myself from that before. Try coonsetrating on other stuff. But I personaly don'tt understand why you would want to lear not to laugh.

Scrumtulescence

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have this problem too......I have a hard time not smiling or laughing when saying or hearing something funny, and sometimes I wonder if it just makes me look goofy.

SELF-MASTERY

Banned
Reaction score
It would be nice if in the 06 guys would learn to be themselves.. I know I know your true self sucks, but for a guy like me with decent soft skills, it blows my head when ppl try to pattern themselves off of someone elses model.

Here's my ideal: learn who the fk you are, what makes you special, and learn why ppl already like you. Use those soft skills when dealing with ppl (not just women).

Death is inevitable when we deny our true nature.

SmoothIsSex

Don Juan
Reaction score
Wow, I can't believe no one posted this tip yet. I'm excellent at keeping a straight face. The ability to make people truly wonder if you're serious or not can have such an impact on attraction. Keeping a straight face can actually be easier than you think. My grandfather gave me a tip on how to do this and I've used it ever since to the point where I almost don't even need to use it anymore. When you crack a joke to someone in which you don't want to laugh in the process, focus between the person's eyes. If not that, then stare right above their eyes (eyebrows and the lower part of the forehead). Try it on someone you know and see if they notice it. I guarantee you they won't be able to tell you're not actually looking at them directly. This works exceedingly if you can get the girl to do an eye-staring contest to see who laughs first. It won't be you...:D

sexy_kuta

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by superman2k6

sometimes i'm on a bus where the seat faces backwards, and i just start smiling at nothing, people must think i'm fkn crazy lol
LOL man i do the same thing

im always thinking about stuff and out of no where ill have this big asssss smile on my face then i think about what those people think while their starting at me

Gonzalo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I an keep a straight face when being sarcastic/ funny. It comes natural to me. But I do realize something I did back in HS which I think kinda conditioned me:

When someone tells a so-so joke, that is just funny enough, smile and laugh, then for a second smile as hard as you can (ie contract your facil muscles), then immediately relax them, and kinda think of something serious, like in your mind think "man, this joke really SUCKED"...

It's more easily shown than explained, but give it a try when watching TV or something, you'll learn to have some facial control despite wanting to giggle--nothing wrong with giggling btw, just answering the original poster's question.

G