Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

2nd Interview, hoping for the best.

bbestar

Banned
Reaction score
I finally got the 2nd interview I’ve been looking for after months of applying for retail wireless companies. I know for sure that I need to get real nice paper, a cover letter, a few copies of the resume and a plastic paper holder. The slacks, red tie and suit jacket

Anyone here experienced in the 2nd interview, like what I can expect? I really want to get this job with tmobile. 4 more days to prepare till the day comes.
:)

CGE333

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Here is some info for the interview and I have a document I use to prepare that I will post in a little while when I get the time. Also make a list of good and intelligent questions and ask them. First up here is the magic 4 hello & goodbye techniques.

The magic 4 hello is as follows:
1. Smile
2. Make Eye contact
3. Firmly Shake their hand
4. Say "Hi, (insert your name), it's a pleasure to meet you.

The magic 4 goodbye is as follows:
1. Smile
2. Make Eye contact
3. Firmly Shake their hand
4. Say, "It's a great opportunity, I look forward to hearing from you.

One of the most important things to do is to make sure you close them at the end on the position. I typically close them something like this:
First ask them "Who ultimately makes the hiring decision." is it them alone or a team of people... then
Ask them "What are the exact requirements for this position."
Then you say (with confidence) "I can meet those requirements.
You then ask the interviewer "Do you have any concerns in my ability to meet those requirements?"
If they say no: "Great what is the next step where do we go from here"
If they say yes they have some concerns you say "What concerns do you have, lets talk about that."
Then overcome the objection and close again.

I will post more info later, but doing the above will seperate you from 9 out of 10 looking for a job.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do some research on the company and know their story before the interview. They might ask, "What do you like about our company?"

CGE333

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Document Part 1:

Interview Techniques
How to Interview and Get an Offer

Your technical skills got you the interview, but your people skills will get you the offer. People fail to obtain offers for any number of reasons. You must sell yourself by making the best possible impression. The best performance on an interview will produce the highest offer. Performing at the highest level during an interview requires extensive preparation which is explained on the following pages in detail.

I. Preparing for the Interview
A. Background/Experience
• List skills and abilities and prioritize them in order of importance in relation to job description.
• List accomplishments and match each accomplishment with the associated skill/ability.
• Understanding the job responsibilities and duties is important in preparing your background experience. Make an effort to understand the job description and the profile of the person the Company is looking for prior to discussing your experience.
• If the interviewer puts you at a disadvantage by asking you about your background before describing the job, you should say, “I would be glad to tell you everything about my background, but I’d like to present my experience focusing on your current needs. The Search Group gave me a brief overview about the position. Would you mind spending a minute and describe the duties and responsibilities of the position so that I can get a clearer picture?”
• In discussing your experience and background, the main objective is to be focused and not too detailed in your presentation. Do not present your background by job, but rather by your experience and function to meet the job requirements.
• Presentation of background/experience should be around 3 to 5 minutes (depending on level of experience) in the format of a functional resume. During the first 2 to 3 minutes, cover as many of the hiring manager's hot buttons as possible. In the final 1 to 2 minutes, summarize all remaining areas of your experience you consider relevant.
• After presenting your background, take 30 to 40 seconds and tell the hiring manager all about yourself personally (where you grew up, married/single/divorced, children, interests outside work, etc). This is information the hiring manager wants to know, but in some cases, can’t ask. This is where the chemistry starts, so make sure you show you have a good sense of humor.
• In concluding your background experience, tell the hiring manager, "I know I've been somewhat general in explaining my experience. Would you like me to be more specific in any area, or do you have any questions about my background." This lets the hiring manager focus on his/her areas of interest.
B. Questions to Ask

Make a list of 10 to 12 questions addressing the company and the position (samples at the end). The company questions should be solid, business oriented issues addressing organization structure, profitability/growth in last 3 years, future growth, acquisitions, computer systems/software, etc. The position questions should be relevant and probing such as: what special projects or problems does this job have; what is most important to success in the position; who will you be interfacing with. Do not ask about money, benefits or working hours.

To make sure that every person you speak with during the interview understands that you are inquisitive and interested, you should select 5 to 6 of your best questions and ask them of everyone. “A few of these questions I addressed to ‘whoever you previously interviewed with’, but I’d also like to get your opinion.”

C. Questions to Answer
Prepare and script out answers for various questions including the following:

• Why are you looking for a new position?
NOTE:
No matter why you are looking, stay positive.
• Long-term goals.
Examples:
o A position that would continue to challenge my current skills in (JOB DESCRIPTION), with increased responsibility, opportunity for advancement, and work in a team oriented environment that would allow me to contribute to the goals of the company/department long-term.
• Where you want to be in 3 to 5 years?
Examples:
o After I become comfortable and proficient in the position of (JOB TITLE) at (COMPANY) I would like to take on added responsibilities, have more a voice in management decisions and advance into a position wherever (COMPANY) feels my skills and abilities will fit best.
• Strengths?
Examples:
o Technical Skills: accounting, financial reporting, financial analysis, etc.
o People Skills: ability to get along well with co-workers, clients and motivate staff.
o Career motivated, team player, goal oriented, will do whatever it takes to get the job done.

• Weaknesses?
NOTE:
o Never give a personal weakness, they all have a negative side. State a professional weakness. It's not a reflection on you, but rather reflects a lack of exposure that is no fault of your own.
Examples:
o I’ve never worked with this software package …
o I’ve not worked in this industry …..

Be sure to follow up with, But I’m confident I could make the transition because of … (notes on this to follow)

• Why should I hire you?
• What was your most challenging project/engagement/position?
See list of interviewing questions on page 4.

NOTE:

• If you do not understand what the hiring manager is asking you, don't be afraid to ask for further clarification of the question. If you think you may not have answered the question completely or correctly, don't be afraid to say "I'm not sure I interpreted your question correctly, did I give you the information you were asking for -or-, can I offer any further information?"

CGE333

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Part 2 - Interview Prep
• Never answer a question with just a NO answer. Always come back with, "No, I have not, but . . ."

Examples:
o but I feel that my skills in A, B and C will allow me to make a smooth transition. I've always been a quick study and with a concentrated effort . . .
o but that's an area I've been interested in for some time and would like to get more exposure. I can assure you, that if it's necessary to the job, I will make the commitment to learn it on my own time...

D. Ending the Interview
If you don’t tell them you want the job, there’s a good chance you won’t get the job. “because this position is exactly what I have been looking for, I would love the opportunity to work here. Do you have any concerns about my background?”

If the hiring manager says “yes” or “maybe”, there is a potential problem to hiring you. Your response should be, “What parts of my background would I have to be stronger in or more qualified to be a better fit for the job?”

The hiring manager will respond with either real or perceived objections. A real objection is when you lack a necessary skill. A perceived objection is when you have the skill, but the interviewer missed it during the course of the interview.

If the hiring manager says “no” Your response should be, “Great, what’s the next step” (or if you’re really comfortable, jokingly suggest “ When would you like me to start?”)

II. Additional Tips
A. Do not express any concerns during the interview. Be totally positive. Your concerns will be addressed and answered after you secure the job offer.

B. Never bring up salary, benefits or hours worked on the job. It sends the message that you want to know what the company can do for you. You want to try to impress the company with what you can do for them.

• If asked your current salary, certainly disclose it. Try not to be pinned down to a salary figure because, for now, the position itself is your most important concern. Once they are interested in having you join the company you are in a better position to negotiate if the offer is not acceptable. Don't take the position that you'll start high and negotiate down because you might scare them off. If you give a low number you may have left money on the table.
• If you're asked what salary/compensation you're looking for, let them know that salary is a factor, but not your main objective. Tell them that if they're interested, you're sure they will make a fair offer and you'll certainly consider any reasonable, competitive offer.
• If they push you for a salary figure, just say, "Since this is the company and position that I've been waiting/looking for, I don't want salary to come between me and an offer. I'll consider any competitive offer."

III. Personality Tips

• Don't take more than 2 seconds to warm up to the interviewer.
• Be upbeat, high energy, conversational, at ease and show you have a good sense of humor. If you don't make the interviewer smile or laugh at least two times during the interview, you have not been totally successful.
• Smile often, especially when you're just listening and talking. Most interviewees lack warmth (because they are too serious) and a smile is a constant reminder to the hiring manager that you are a friendly, warm person.
• Use hiring manager's first name occasionally. This not only shows self confidence but also shows that you are comfortable dealing with professionals at all levels.
• Body language is important. Sitting up straight in your chair communicates interest. Relax and make sure you are comfortable in the chair. This will prevent you from looking too stiff or rigid. Shake hands firmly. Eye contact is important--lack of eye contact communicates nervousness.
• Try to spend approximately 50% of the interview talking. You don't want to dominate the meeting, but you don't want to give the impression that you are a church mouse either.
• Remind yourself every 5 to 10 minutes about these personality tips during the interview.

THE CRITICAL INTERVIEWING ISSUES CHART
What types of questions provide the most critical information about a candidate during an interview? The Search Group recommends that you prepare answers to the following key questions. These questions assess your maturity, skill level, character, compatibility and creativity.

PROFESSIONAL MATURITY

§ What are the major problems you've run into at your current position and how have you handled them?
§ What would you do if (name an adverse situation that he/she may likely encounter)?
§ If you disagreed with a superior's decision, what actions would you take?
§ What recommendations do you have on how your current organization could improve its product, financial position, etc?

SKILL LEVEL

§ What are your responsibilities?
§ What do you feel you can learn from this position?
§ What are your greatest strengths? Your weaknesses?
§ What was the biggest contribution you made in your current position?
§ How would your references rate your technical competence?

CHARACTER

§ What is the most important aspect of a job to you?
§ Where do you see yourself in five years? In ten years?
§ How would you describe your ideal work environment?

COMPATIBILITY

§ What interests you about our organization?
§ How would your co-workers rate you as a team player?
§ Why are you leaving your current company?
§ What do you expect to get from this position that you're not getting now?

CREATIVITY

§ What do you do in your spare time?
§ What was the last book you read and why did you like/dislike it?

Sample Interview Questions

a) What would be the greatest challenge in this position?
i) Tie that into your background and how it wouldn’t be a challenge for you, or is a challenge your ready for, tell a narrative.
b) What attracted you to this company?
c) What can you tell me about the company’s growth plans?
d) What traits have made other people successful in this position (company)?
i) Tie this into your own background
e) Why is this position open?
f) How often has it been filled in the past five years? What were the main reasons?
g) What would you like done differently by the next person who fills this position?
h) What are some of the objectives you would like to see accomplished in this job?
i) What is most pressing? What would you like to have done in the next 3 months.
j) What are some of the long term objectives you would like to see completed?
k) What are some of the more difficult problems one would have to face in this position? How do you think these could best be handled?
l) What type of support does this position receive in terms of people, finances. etc?
m) What advancement opportunities are available for the person who is successful in this position, and within what time frame?
n) In what ways has this organization been most successful in terms of products and services over the years?
o) What significant changes do you foresee in the near future?
p) How is one evaluated in this position?

5 POINTS OF A THANK YOU LETTER

1. Thank you for taking the time to talk with me.
2. I really like the way you described the opportunity
3. I KNOW I can handle the challenges and responsibilities involved with this position
4. If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to call me because (5)
5. I’m really looking forward to working with / at your firm.

bbestar

Banned
Reaction score
WOW!! Thank you very much.. You are like the interview expert :D , what company do you work for

That is so much information to take in and implement.

I applied so many times thinking i did all i could do in my own power. But reading all this and some books, I now know could have done some easy things that could have made the difference.

A few things ive been missing was the cover letter and reference page

Ive always had trouble answer some of the questions but maybe it was the lack of research that affected.

I will be taking notes on the company to prepare myself

Much obliged
God Bless