Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Broke tip off AC adapter -- how to get part?

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I accidentally broke the plug (that goes into the computer) off the end of the AC adapter for my laptop. I don't want to plunk down $50 US for a whole new adapter when all I need to do is solder on a new tip.

Anyone know where I can get such a thing?

Radio Shack only has replacement tips for theit universal adapter, which is plug-in on both sides. I may be able to rig something up with that, but something with solderable connectors on the back end would be better.

I did manage to rig up a temporary arrangement that's been working OK by essentially wrapping ends of telephone cord wire around the connectors, but it's pretty delicate, and has to be kept connected, lest it take much time & trouble to re-connect.

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You could probably get away with using the Rat Shack adapter replacement. Just solder it on and use some heat shrink to cover up the wires.

Then there's my personal favorite and cheap solution... Go to a second hand store (take the tip with you) and look at the miscellaneous adapters they have there (I've seen them range from 25 cents to a dollar). Try to find one that is close in size, and buy it only for the tip. Take home, cut the tip off the "new" adapter, and solder it onto your laptop cable (make sure you get the polarity right).

If you can't find one at your local junk shop, then try looking in the phone book under "electronic supply" or "electronic parts". The stores you find will probably charge you around $5 for a new one.

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas, Desdinova. Even Radio Shack did not have a usable part: had to buy their whole $80 adapter to get it there.

The secondhand store idea was not likely to work: too uncommon a configuration (not a regular coaxial tip end, or anything like that, kind of a semicircular 3-slot end), so I'd have probably been running all over the place.

But I found out who makes the adapter Radio Shack sells, went to their site (www.igo.com), and got a cord that I can cannibalize for about $26, including shipping. Still less than half the cost of the whole adapter, and it will be a snap to splice the end in.

So that's where to go if you break the end of your cord: www.igo.com.