PDA

View Full Version : Pronouncing Erector Spinae

Turki
03-09-2005, 06:47 AM
I have no idea how to pronounce "Spinae" and don't want to sound like a complete tool when saying it, so please someone help me out!

Thanks

earthshyne
03-09-2005, 06:57 AM
Main Entry: erector spiˇnae
Pronunciation: -'spE-n&, -(")nE
Function: noun
(www.dictionary.com)

I think it's "spine - ay"

Turki
03-09-2005, 07:42 AM
Yeah I looked up Dictionary.com before I posted, lol what does "-'spE-n&, -(")nE" mean?? Thanks for that though.

earthshyne
03-09-2005, 08:14 AM
Not sure, exactly. The symbols are so obtuse as to be practically useless.

Try this: Call a physio or chiropractor's office. They may be able to help.

diablo
03-09-2005, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Turki
I have no idea how to pronounce "Spinae" and don't want to sound like a complete tool when saying it,
When's the last time you heard "Spinae" used in everyday conversation? By the way, the dictionary website has a whole section devoted to telling you exactly how the phoenetic endings they put after words should be read aloud. Check it out.

Moved to Anything Else...

earthshyne
03-09-2005, 09:54 AM
dictionary website has a whole section devoted to telling you exactly how the phoenetic endings they put after words should be read aloud
Cool. Thanks, I didn't know that. Can you put up the link? I can't seem to find it (need more kawfee probably...)

diablo
03-09-2005, 04:14 PM
http://dictionary.reference.com/help/ahd4/pronkey.html

earthshyne
03-09-2005, 05:49 PM
Thanks!

Jay-X
03-10-2005, 08:51 AM
i'm italian and i study latin at school, so i can tell you for sure that you can pronounce it two ways:

1. this is the classic pronounce (the one that ancient romans actually used, for what we know): ay-r-ay-ktor [read fast, with accent on the second "ay"] sp-ee-n-a-ay [with the accent on "ee"]

2. the "scholastic" pronounce (the one that medieval monks used and that is commonly used in schools): ay-r-ay-ktor sp-ee-n-ay

hope this clears your doubts

diablo
03-10-2005, 10:03 AM
Jay-X is correct... you could always call it "lower back", since this is the same thing and far easier to pronounce.

For future "how to pronounce a word" problems, check out dictionary.com's forum:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/dictionary/start