Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Sharp lower back pain

CaptainJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was merely getting up from bending down to the wash basin today when suddenly a sharp shooting pain hit my lower back. Now the pain has faded into a dull uncomfortable ache, where my lower back muscles are really stiff, sharper jolts of pain occurring when I round my back in harsh movements.

It is really strange because it came about so suddenly and from such a small movement. I haven't even been going hard in the gym for the past week as I have been deloading and using a less intense program. The last time I did went was 4 days ago, and my back felt fine for the past 4 days, only getting a bit stiff last night before bed. It feels like muscle strain, and taking ibuprofen has greatly reduced the pain, only leaving stiffness.

I think I've somehow tweaked my lower back in my training session and then amplified the tweak when I played tennis over the weekend. Any advice on what the problem could be? How can I resolve it?

I'll be taking a break from weights until the pain subsides, and then do a hard deload to iron out form issues.

CarlitosWay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
do lots of warrior lunges/ bird dogs...just get some blood flowing there. Drop some motrin.

and doing rack deadlifts with 375+ lbs for reps will help tooo.....

j/k on the last one....:)

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lower back injuries are a biatch to deal with. I've been pretty fortunate in that department. Try lower back stretches and spinal decompression (hang with a weight belt). A chiropractor can also help.

Just take it easy. The lower back is very easily over trained...

CaptainJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The pain is getting less and I'm getting back mobility, so I am able to perform the squat movement again. I think the problem may have been partially caused by having too much of a slouchy posture, as I have had to really straighten my back to relieve pain.

I'll be sure to keep it mobile with some active rest. lol cheers carlitosway, but I think setting some rounded back good mornings PRs would be better for my rehab :up:

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good advice here, BUT I warn you, if the pain ever leaves your back and radiates down your legs, STOP all lifting, go see a doctor and get an MRI.

Pimp-sicle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Your core is weak.... you need to start incorporating core exercises twice a week and you'll see a major difference not only in your performance but also your posture.

Squatting with a weak core is a recipe for disaster.

PIMP

Ianpeterson

Reaction score
If you have latterly started to have low back pain, there's a good chance that it will get better within a few weeks. There are many causes of sudden sharp back pain, but most have simple treatment solutions. By talking with your doctor, you can determine the cause and get on the road to recovery and back to your everyday activities as soon as possible.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't bend over first thing in the morning ;)

The discs in your back are expanded and fragile for the first 10 minutes after standing up from sleep.

Do some situps and hyperextensions

Hot/Cold for a day or so

Best get it cleared up, definitely just a strained muscle or at worst a minor ligament sprain, very unlikely though.

CaptainJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quiksilver said:
Don't bend over first thing in the morning ;)
The discs in your back are expanded and fragile for the first 10 minutes after standing up from sleep.
Heh, good point, didn't realise that. Although it's pretty hard not to bend over when all then basins go up to your hips. I guess I should practice squatting down to them.

Well the pain almost totally faded during the week, but now it has come back a bit, this time spreading down to my left ass. I think it's mild sciatica, so It could be a mild prolapsed disc, which is pinching the nerve. I've looked it up on the internet, and it says to go to the doctor if the pain is acute, but about 90% of prolapsed discs will heal themselves naturally. The pain is mild and only occurs when I walk, so I'll give it a while and see if it reduces. Maybe take some ibuprofen.

I think it is caused by weak abs, as I never really feel my abs tensing when I squat, so i guess it's abs training and weight belt time

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Have you tried doing the reverse hypers yet ???

Hopefully your doing bodyweight exercises only.

CaptainJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Drum&Bass said:
Have you tried doing the reverse hypers yet ???

Hopefully your doing bodyweight exercises only.
Haven't tried reverse hypers because I don't have access to a reverse hyper machine, but I'm only doing bodyweight exercises.

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
WHAT !?!!? dood you dont need a reverse hyper machine, you just need something to lay down and hold on to.

One guy does reverse hypers at a local playground. Other guys use a stability ball. be creativive...all your doing is raising your legs up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X_gUIMKIMg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6udA5FXZUf4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z4xJ1JZatc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwLGUUMBWFg

I don't have access to a reverse hyper so I use a glute ham raise like this kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj9HpfDpTuc

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The spine is the most important area for the body to protect. Injury to the spinal cord can easily lead to death, so whenever that area is threatened, the muscles around the spine will contract as a defensive measure. Unfortunately, they tend to stay that way for a few days, which is what hurts.

CaptainJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I can safely say my back is fine now. No more sciatica, no more back pain. It disappeared immediately after I did those reverse hyperextensions (Cheers Drum&Bass).

5string

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
speed dawg said:
Good advice here, BUT I warn you, if the pain ever leaves your back and radiates down your legs, STOP all lifting, go see a doctor and get an MRI.
^^^^This is sound advice. If you experience any radiculopathy, stop everything and get to the doc. I have done this exact same thing and experienced low back pain. One thing that really helps me, is a deep tissue massage. Hurts....but it's worth it.

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
after deadlifts+squat day 2 days ago my lower back is still very tense and a bit strained

i try to do bird dogs and planks, but anything else there?

what is this talk of weak core, how do i know if I have it?

CaptainJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Oxide said:
after deadlifts+squat day 2 days ago my lower back is still very tense and a bit strained

i try to do bird dogs and planks, but anything else there?

what is this talk of weak core, how do i know if I have it?
Reverse Hypers! They are brilliant.

If you have weak abs then do chin ups, they are one of the best exercises for strengthening abs.